Data Scientist at Meetup
The spark of a meaningful interaction makes people braver. It encourages participation, action, and the willingness to try — the stuff of progress. Through Meetup, people come together, they create new possibilities for each other. It begins simply, with a handshake and a hello, but its effects can be profound: Millions of lives changed.
At Meetup, we’ve made it our mission to empower personal growth through real human connections because we see a future built on deep trust and collective effort. We are creating a world where people can turn to each other to improve their lives.
Data Scientists are part of a centralized Data Team and partner with teams throughout the company to identify and execute on the most impactful product and business opportunities. The team owns the collection & enhancement of our tremendous data assets using applied statistics at scale to better connect our members and organizers. Data Science and its two sister-teams (Machine Learning & Data Platform) collaborate daily to define and extend Meetup’s data science, analytic and personalization capabilities. As a data scientist, your work will involve consulting with client teams, munging data, data modeling, building ML models, and visualizing and presenting results to stakeholders. If you are a data scientist who nerds out on data and wants to drive critical projects with our internal teams and business that impact how the world uses Meetup, we want to hear from you!
- Driven to connect data to business problems and clearly communicate the benefits, risks, and trade-offs
- Believe that data integrity is paramount and obsess about figuring things out
- Self-motivated, eager to create something new, and always looking to improve upon existing processes, tools and methodologies
- Love working with both people and numbers to help teams answer complex questions
- Passionate about building community all over the world
Role and responsibilities:
- Collaborate with strategy, product, and data teams to map business needs to data-driven solutions
- Advise on and promote good experimental design and evaluation, as we quickly iterate on product changes
- Leverage machine learning techniques to deliver value to the business from our vast data assets
- Rapidly prototype and validate new metrics and models to generate impactful insights about our members so we can better serve them and their communities
- Craft and communicate data visualizations that enable teams to easily understand and act upon the output of data products and analyses
- Analyze performance bottlenecks and recommend optimizations as we continually improve the performance of our in-house data tooling
- 1+ years working with data analytics, data warehousing practices, data pipelines, online & offline experimentation, and machine learning models
- Degree in Computer Science, Economics, Data Science, Business Analytics, Statistics, Mathematics or a related field
- Proficiency in statistics and experiment design
- Meticulous attention to detail and an obsession with 'getting it right'
- Advanced SQL and proficiency with one or more scripting languages: Python, Scala or R preferred
- An optimistic outlook on what is possible to achieve and a passionate drive toward getting to that place
- Experience with distributed data technologies like Hadoop, Hive, and Spark
- Desired: experience partnering directly with clients (either internal or external) and/or leading projects with multiple work streams
- Bonus points: for experience building and analyzing web and mobile applications, and business intelligence tools
Meetup employees are bold, supportive, and passionate about enabling people to come together and create the future of real community, a future where people embrace their differences and similarities, show up, do things, and turn to each other to improve their lives. We care about moving fast, real-world change, and building diverse, dynamic teams in a safe and inclusive environment.
Please include a cover letter with your application telling us why you are the perfect fit for this role, and Meetup in particular!