As an Engineering Manager at Hinge, you will lead a Data Engineering team focused on delivering quality ETL pipelines that will be the foundation of Hinge’s decision-making ability. The team you support, the systems you help create, and the problems you help solve, will be pivotal to the success of Hinge.
This role is key to the success of Hinge. Not only will they help power the love lives of tons of people, but they will play a critical part in the functioning of every team at Hinge, with stakeholders ranging from customer experience to marketing to leadership.
The Engineering Manager will be a critical component to the success of the Data Engineering team. They will be a force multiplier; mentoring engineers, advancing best practices, and delivering components for an actual big data architecture while concentrating on real-world problems.
- Provide hands-on technical leadership for your team. You can expect to spend over 50% of your time writing code and architecting systems for scale.
- Work with our Engineering teams to ensure data is flowing accurately through data creation to our presentation layers.
- Become an advocate for the Data Engineering team by developing and championing Data Engineering practices with the team and with the company at large.
- Create foundational ETL processes.
- Improve our Data Engineering stack through containerization, data modeling, developing our ETL pipelines, and more.
- Work with stakeholders and translate their needs and expectations into action items and deliverables.
- Lead infrastructure initiatives; from design to implementation to delivery.
- 1+ years of experience managing engineers.
- 5+ years of data engineering industry experience.
- Expertise in Python, SQL, shell scripting, and databases.
- Capability to drive initiatives and articulate their value to Engineering and other stakeholders.
- Excited to build a superb team culture and the capability to inspire.
- Experience delivering data products from conception to delivery.
- Great communication skills (written/verbal).
- Passionate about designing elegant ETL pipelines.
- Familiarity with our stack (Kubernetes, Docker, Kafka, Redshift, Airflow, Hive, Looker) and with different modeling techniques such as data vault.
Hinge is the dating app for people who want to get off dating apps. In today’s digital world, singles are so busy matching that they’re not actually connecting, in person, where it counts. Hinge is on a mission to change that. So we built an app that’s designed to be deleted. On Hinge, there are no rules, timers, or games. Instead, you’ll meet your most compatible matches and you’ll have unique conversations over what you’ve shared on your detailed profile. It’s a natural way to find a great first date. Currently, 3 out of 4 first dates lead to second dates, we’re the #1 mobile-first dating app mentioned in the New York Times wedding section, and we’re the fastest growing dating app in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia.
- Authenticity: Share your genuine thoughts and opinions directly.
- Courage: Invite and deeply consider challenges and criticism.
- Empathy: Be empathetic, communitarian and trustworthy.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.