Health Care Economics Manager
Greater NYC Area
Who we are
Cityblock Health is a new type of healthcare company, operating out of Brooklyn and backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs, along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to radically improve the health of urban communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we bring the capability to deliver care in the home and neighborhood with our field-based teams.
In close collaboration with community based organizations and a leading commercial partner, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. We deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services through a network of neighborhood hubs with deep community-based partnerships and world-class technology.
We partner with payers and at-risk providers, taking capitated financial risk to care for their most vulnerable, high and rising risk members. Additionally, we invest in strategic partnerships with community-based and social services organizations, in some instances bringing them into the value equation through sub-capitation and performance-based compensation.
Over the next year we’ll grow quickly, including entering new markets, each with their own commercial relationships and field-based teams. This role will be a key contributor to the success of our business.
We’re seeking an entrepreneurial teammate to stand up a Health Care Economics function for Cityblock Health. As the inaugural member of our Health Care Economics team, you’ll collaborate closely across all functions with considerable focus on the Clinical Operations, Finance, and Data Science teams. You’ll measure the clinical and financial value that Cityblock brings to our members and strategic partners and you’ll work with leadership to implement analytics and reporting mechanisms to inform our operations on the ground. This role will also conduct ad hoc assessments on special topics, such as pharmacy, disease prevalence, and new technologies to inform how we enhance our capabilities going forward. You’ll have significant impact on Cityblock’s care delivery strategy, prioritizing the needs of the vulnerable populations we serve in local markets.
- Develop in-depth analytics and reporting mechanisms for key clinical and financial metrics, including utilization data and trends, quality measures, risk adjustment and revenue forecasting
- Partner with the data science team to identify improvements in input data quality to better support back-end analytics and reporting
- Augment actuarial resources in the evaluation of new growth opportunities and contract proposals
- Identify and understand performance improvement opportunities with regard to managing utilization, improving quality and earning accurate revenue; conduct research to identify root cause(s)
- Lead by example in delivering exceptional work via the development of a team based collaborative environment, embodying CBH’s culture and values
- Design analyses and code independently, leveraging experience with analyzing and aggregating large amounts of claims and other health care data
- Be a subject matter expert on Cityblock’s medical cost trends
- Leverage managed care acumen to interpret data and provide recommendations as appropriate
- Provide ad-hoc analytical support to other functions for work related to Contract Management, Medical Management, Partner Oversight, and other related concerns as requested
- Develop various sensitivity analytics to assess economic and health outcomes exposure based on changes to our operating model
- Act as a support resource for reporting and report development that explains provider performance and program performance
- Collaborate and coordinate with associates throughout the company to share ideas that may include quality improvement, cost-savings, analysis techniques and models, data issues and general knowledge
You’d be a good fit if you:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree, or Master’s degree preferred, in a related field (e.g., mathematics, statistics)
- Have 5+ years of health care economics or actuarial experience within a health plan or risk-bearing provider (group or health system)
- Have experience with government healthcare programs, specifically Medicaid, Medicare Advantage, and Duals business lines
- Have considerable experience as an individual contributor that leads your own statistical analyses and models
- Demonstrate exceptional analytics abilities, including:
- Assembling, cleaning, and analyzing healthcare data from disparate sources
- Naturally inquisitive nature where you proactively identify red flags and research them thoroughly to understand root causes and potential needs for business adjustments
- Detailed and accurate reporting on complex data sets
- Familiarity with HEDIS, HCC, ICD, DRG, HCPCS and other relevant data sets
- Proficiency in SQL
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
Read Full Job Description