Principal Data Engineer, Internationalization at Dataminr
--COVID-19 Hiring Update--
As the health and safety of our candidates and our employees come first, we're excited to provide virtual experiences for interviews and new hire on-boarding.
Who we are:
Dataminr puts real-time AI and public data to work for our clients, generating relevant and actionable alerts for global corporations, public sector agencies, newsrooms, and NGOs. Our leading AI platform detects the earliest signals of high-impact events and emerging risks from vast amounts of publicly available information. Our real-time alerts enable tens of thousands of users at hundreds of public and private sector organizations to learn first of breaking events around the world, develop effective risk mitigation strategies, and respond with confidence as crises unfold.
Dataminr is making its mark for growth and innovation, recently earning recognition on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Forbes AI 50 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists. We also earned accolades for ‘Most Innovative Use of AI’ from the 2020 AI & Machine Learning Awards.
Join our team and help the world manage risk in real time. You’ll work with 800+ talented people across eight offices, united by our passion to collaborate, make a difference, and have fun while doing it!
Who you are:
You have 5+ years of experience with data engineering. You love all things data. You share knowledge and love to learn.
Must haves :
- Experience in designing and building scalable and reliable data pipelines for ingestion, processing and analysis of large disparate datasets from diverse sources keeping in mind data throughput, ingestion and high availability requirements.
- Experience in deployment and configuration of various components in a data pipeline across multiple regions. Have experience leading phased deployments of critical infrastructure components while deploying into a new region/Geo and how to monitor progress and minimize risk of data loss.
- Experience in implementing tools for monitoring and alerting of data pipelines to ensure that we can provide a high availability pipeline to our partners and customers. We need full optics into the operations of our data pipeline by deciding on the metrics to monitor/alert on and to make sure that any new spikes in data volumes, latencies observed that can lead to downtime are monitored continuously and generate alerts to an oncall team.
- Experience working on critical data infrastructure that needs to be available 24*7 with strategies on minimizing downtime during new deployments/upgrades.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on data infra and pipeline issues and how to architect solutions to mitigate them with zero downtime.
Nice to have :
- Experience in automation of deployment infra specific to data pipelines across multiple regions.
- Analyze and improve efficiency, reliability, and scalability of data infrastructure and processes
- Improve existing and create new data infrastructure components to better automate extraction, transformation, loading, and other data management processes
- Desire and readiness to take on greater ownership of and responsibility for data infrastructure and take pride in owning a highly available data pipeline that supports mission critical operations
- Great team player who can collaborate well with team members, express technical leadership supporting their views and ideas while keeping open to different opinions, being confident and always contributing to the overall growth of the team
If you enjoy working on a collaborative, high growth team with best-in-class cloud-native technologies, this is the role for you! Our tech stack includes Snowflake, Kafka & Kafka Connect, Spark, Scala, Java, Python, and our business model is 24/7 streaming data. We support both streaming and batch processes within an integrated and resilient architecture that delivers high impact results for teams across the company. We are passionate about Data Infrastructure as a Service, and we find meaning in enabling others to work faster by building better tooling. In this role, you will enjoy greenfield big data engineering projects that provide highly-performant and easy-to-maintain data infrastructure. You’ll partner with other teams across research, AI and engineering, and the likelihood is high that you’ll make their day with data. You’ll contribute to expanding our methods for ensuring the validity and quality of the company’s datasets, and you’ll help develop systems that accurately monitor and measure the impact of releases to our production systems. In the first month, you’ll
- start off by learning the ropes, spending time with different parts of the company to understand how Dataminr works.
- get up to speed on our data infrastructure and our roadmap with overview sessions and deep dives with your team.
- contribute code to production systems.
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- share responsibility for data infrastructure with members of your team.
- help to plan new infrastructure features and improvements.
- begin to take more of a role in helping others understand our data platform strategy.
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- own an area of the data platform, depending on your interests
- design and implement pipelines that impact multiple teams across the company.
- be influential in helping plan the next iteration of our data platforms.
- bring new ideas to our engineering and analytics processes to help us continuously improve.
Why you should work here:
- We recognize and reward hard work with:
- company paid benefits for employees and their dependents, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance
- 401(k) savings plan with company matching
- flexible spending account for out-of-pocket medical, transit, parking and dependent care expenses
- We want you to be your best, authentic self by supporting you with:
- a diverse, driven, and passionate team of coworkers who want you to succeed
- individual learning and development fund and professional training
- generous paid time off; including sick leave and 100% company paid parental leave
- remote working friendly perks such as expanded telehealth options for mental and physical well being, virtual yoga, meditation and health and fitness app reimbursements
…and this is just to name a few!
Dataminr is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Individuals seeking employment at Dataminr are considered without regards to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.#LI-DNP
For individuals applying for US-based roles:
Dataminr is requiring that all prospective employees hired for this position present proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
Dataminr is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a sincerely held religious belief, medical reasons, or other legally protected reasons, should contact their recruiting representative as soon as possible following any conditional offer of employment to explore what, if any, reasonable accommodations Dataminr is able to offer.
For individuals applying for Australian-based roles:
Dataminr requires (as a condition of employment) that the successful candidate for this position be fully vaccinated with a recognized and approved COVID-19 vaccine prior to commencing employment. The successful candidate will be required to present proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment.
Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a legally protected reason should contact their recruiting representative as soon as possible following any offer of employment to explore what, if any, reasonable accommodations Dataminr is able to offer.