Senior Data Engineer at theSkimm
We’re looking for an experienced data engineer and mentor to join theSkimm's Tech team. Our mission is to enable our partners across theSkimm, from Editorial and Audio to Marketing and Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems and processes we can offer. We build tools throughout the stack, share knowledge across departments, and learn quickly so we can take best advantage of what’s coming.
As we grow, we're looking for a Senior Data Engineer who’ll help solidify and expand our data reporting and analysis pipelines. Our business is run on detailed analysis of how our products perform with our members, which features they love and which can be improved, and which product and marketing campaigns are bringing in the best quality users. You'll be responsible for working alongside product, design, and other teams to define new data collection components and measurement schemes that support each new product and feature.WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 4-6+ years of industry experience measuring product performance and user behavior
- Experience working with a variety of data management technologies, including RedShift, Kinesis/Kafka, Glue, Spark, Postgres, Airflow, dbt, and others.
- Experience supporting and implementing reporting tools such as Looker and Tableau
- Knowledge of a variety of measurement beacons and SDKs, including Google Analytics, Localytics, Moat, ComScore, and Heap
- A commitment to building secure, resilient, fault-tolerant architectures, with clear documentation and procedures in place for support
- A focus on accuracy and detail as you build, ensuring data pipelines produce clear, predictable results
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Facility in presenting and discussing the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- An empathetic leadership style that encourages open communication and trust
- Experience guiding engineers on your team to learn more and expand their skills
- Web programming experience, especially in React, Node, and Rails
- Experience with Google Tag Manager and other measurement management tools
- Understanding of the typical metrics an advertising-supported business needs to measure success
- Experience with ML techniques as applied to behavioral segmentation or anomaly identification
- Familiarity using developer tools that increase productivity and facilitate the development of resilient code (eg. Docker, Travis, Jenkins)
- A history of leading and guiding high-performing technical teams
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience and mission
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Equity for all employees
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- 'MassMutual' 401(k) program
- Free 'One Medical' Membership
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through 'Carrot Fertility'
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine, and a pretty sweet roof deck
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY