Senior Data Engineer at Hinge
We are seeking a Senior Data Engineer that is interested in joining a rapidly growing and close knit team. This role will report to and work collaboratively with the Director of Data Engineering.
This role is key to the success of Hinge. Not only will they help power the love lives of tons of people, but they will play a critical part in the functioning of every team at Hinge, with stakeholders ranging from customer experience to marketing to leadership.
The Senior Data Engineer will be implementing critical ETL pipelines and advancing best practices for not only the data engineering team, but the rest of the organization. They will be working on delivering an actual big data architecture while concentrating on real-world problems such as privacy concerns.
Who We Are:
Hinge is the dating app for people who want to get off dating apps. In today’s digital world, singles are so busy matching that they’re not actually connecting, in person, where it counts. Hinge is on a mission to change that. So we built an app that’s designed to be deleted. On Hinge, there are no rules, timers, or games. Instead, you’ll meet your most compatible matches and you’ll have unique conversations over what you’ve shared on your detailed profile. It’s a natural way to find a great first date. Currently, 3 out of 4 first dates lead to second dates, we’re the #1 mobile-first dating app mentioned in the New York Times wedding section, and we’re the fastest growing dating app in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia.
- Authenticity: Share your genuine thoughts and opinions directly.
- Courage: Invite and deeply consider challenges and criticism.
- Empathy: Be empathetic, communitarian and trustworthy.
What We Want You to Do:
- Work with our Engineering teams to ensure data is flowing accurately through data creation to our presentation layers
- Become an advocate for the Data Engineering team by developing and championing Data Engineering practices with the team and with the company at large
- Create foundational ETL processes
- Improve our Data Engineering stack through containerization, data modeling, developing our ETL pipelines, and more
- Work with stakeholders and translate their needs and expectations into action items and deliverables
- Lead infrastructure initiatives; from design to implementation to delivery
What We Want to See:
- Expertise in Python, SQL, shell scripting, and databases
- 5+ years of professional/industry experience
- Capability to drive initiatives and articulate their value to Engineering and other stakeholders
- Experience delivering data products from conception to delivery
- Good communication skills (written/verbal)
- Passionate about designing elegant ETL pipelines
- Used Looker, Redshift, Airflow, Spark
- Familiar with data vault modeling, Agile methodologies, Kubernetes, Docker, Kafka, and data governance
Who You Are:
- Highly energetic and proactive with strong leadership skills
- Enjoy making sense of chaos, continuously learning and working with a diverse group of builders, entrepreneurs, creators and all around great people
- Entrepreneurial at heart, thrive in an ever evolving start-up environment and your passion is evident in your work
- Passionate about the latest developments in technology
- Fast learner and open to constructive criticism
- Desire to dive in and learn in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborative team player with the ability to shift gears quickly, efficiently and effectively
- Dependable and reliable with clear thinking and attention to detail
- Great sense of humor and outlook on life . . . we laugh a lot!
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental and vision
- Great perks including class pass memberships, development stipend, date stipend, and much more!
- All the computer gear you need to improve your productivity
- Work-life flexibility - we value your contributions above all
- Amazing office in NYC