We're looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our Data Insights team and help us accomplish our mission of improving lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What you will do
Data Insights is a diverse and talented team with strong expertise in discovering, prototyping and launching new data products. As a Senior Data Scientist on this team, you will define data strategy, drive technical execution, and help us create the next generation of our real-world evidence data products.
You will be embedded on a newly formed team within our Real World Evidence business line. This team is focused on developing new research variables and analytic models that can advance our data products. You will be tasked with creating high quality clinical research variables from structured and unstructured data sources using creative approaches including, but not limited to, machine learning and natural language processing. You’ll work cross-functionally with software engineers to productionize these new variables, and with quantitative scientists and oncologists to validate that they can be used to generate sound scientific insights. In addition, you’ll also:
- Immerse yourself in the technical and clinical contexts that inform how health information is documented at the point of care
- Interface with internal scientific stakeholders and external life science partners to understand what data they need to conduct high quality research
- Apply a wide range of data science, machine learning, and natural language processing techniques to develop new approaches to turn raw clinical data into high quality research variables
- Rapidly iterate on early stage products where a hybrid skill set of product intuition, customer empathy and technical expertise is essential
Ultimately, your work will empower our Life Science customers and academic partners to do higher quality research with real-world data.
Who You Are
You are an entrepreneurial, customer-focused data scientist, experienced in driving new data capabilities. You are excited by the prospect of tackling meaningful problems each and every day. You are a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make a real impact on people’s lives. In addition:
- You have an advanced degree in a quantitative field
- You have a minimum of 2+ years of working experience in an analytical and technical capacity
- You have experience in a broad spectrum of techniques from data science and machine learning and are excited to apply them to solve complex clinical or business problems
- You have worked with open source data science tools and languages (R/Python).
- You are value-oriented and practical in how you apply data to problems, and understand what it takes to build sustainable products at scale
- You exemplify Flatiron values and are eager to be a cultural champion for them: you are vocally self-critical, willing to sit on the floor, and focused on solving problems that matter
- You have worked in a scientific research environment, and are comfortable collaborating with scientific stakeholders (e.g. biostatisticians, research oncologists) and with evaluating statistical evidence
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
At Flatiron, we strive to build and maintain an environment where employees from all backgrounds are valued, respected and have the opportunity to succeed. You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Professional development benefits for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) that encourage our employees to share their unique experiences and perspectives
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Back-up child care
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.