Senior Data Scientist - Tech Incubation at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 30th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2019, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2019. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
SENIOR DATA SCIENTIST
The Tech Incubation team aspires to stretch and transform the existing boundaries in cancer care at the confluence of tech and health. We function as a pipeline for innovation that supports bold, scientific experimentation with new technologies in a variety of breakthrough domains that shape MSK’s digital transformation. The team is a multidisciplinary group of designers, engineers and data scientists whose activities range from basic tech research, to proof of concept and design work, to streamlined pilots and evaluations of new technologies in production clinical and business environments. We also reach beyond institutional walls to forge collaborations with academic, startup, and established industry partners to accelerate and augment these activities.
WHAT WILL YOU WORK ON?
As a Senior Data Scientist at MSK, you will be building products that directly impact people's lives. Tech incubation is searching for someone who will help employ statistical methodologies on high volumes of data to solve novel problems, build software and create actionable insights.
WHO ARE WE?
We are an experienced multidisciplinary team that covers the full lifecycle of project development, from idea stage all the way to production ready. We operate in a product model where you will work in a team of talented software engineers, as well as data scientists and designers.
- Working on analysis, model construction, and software engineering by researching statistical methods, building complex models, and training, testing and validating in order to deploy software.
- Meeting with leadership, understand business needs, often vague and conceptual, translates business needs into analytics tasks and presents results aimed at satisfying those business needs.
- Assisting leadership in the development of departmental strategy, particularly analytic strategy, and helps provide insights and direction of the team’s vision.
- Making interpretations and connect results with business needs by tackling questions and exploring new innovative approaches.
- Mentoring and guiding team members and stakeholders
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
- BS in Computer Science, Mathematics, quantitative field or equivalent experience; 5+ years of experience building production software, preferably on an Agile team
- Strong software engineering skills in Java, C++, and/or Python.
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms, software architecture and common statistical methods
- Able to conduct analyses using R or Python
- Deeply comfortable with relational databases & SQLalong with building dashboards
- Skilled at partnering with non-technical stakeholders to turn vague business problems into crisp analytical projects
- Act as a storyteller, synthesizing knowledge from a variety of sources and able to clearly communicate complex topics to different audiences
- Curious and self-motivated, thrive when working autonomously.
Location: NYC - Midtown East near Grand Central
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time | Generous Vacation + 12 holidays to recharge & refuel | Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care | 403b retirement savings plan match | Tuition Reimbursement | Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance | Commuter Spending Account | Fitness Discounts & Wellness Program | Resource Networks | Life Insurance & Disability | Remote Flexibility
We believe in communication, transparency, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
Our Hiring Process
You read the ad, agree it sounds like a great fit & apply -> Talent Acquisition contacts you to schedule a phone interview (if your profile aligns)-> after speaking with the Talent Acquisition Specialist, you will connect with the Hiring Manager by phone or video call -> if your experience is a fit, you will move forward to an on-site visit or video calls with the team -> post interview feedback -> ideally an offer! -> reference check & onboarding -> orientation & official welcome to MSK
We look forward to meeting soon!
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.