Senior Manager, Experimentation & ML Platforms at Better
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better’s Data team is seeking a Senior Engineering Manager to lead a team that will develop experimentation and machine learning platforms. This team will closely partner with our foundational Data Platform and Data Science & Analytics teams to create platforms that support experiment design, implementation, and analysis, as well as key areas of the machine learning workflow (from development through production and operations). These are net-new initiatives and we expect for the leader to hire, grow, and lead multiple sprint teams (+2) to achieve these objectives.
Join us as we look to reinvent a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a tech-enabled product that will allow more people to own a home that they love. This is an opportunity to join on the ground-floor and help shape our technical architecture and culture that will be a foundation for years to come. Our Engineering team is headquartered in NYC, but is remote friendly.What you’ll do:
- Hire, grow and lead multiple sprint teams of software and data engineers
- Create real-time services that support our understanding of Better users and help to power machine learning and experimentation
- Partner closely with our Data Platform and Data Science & Analytics teams
- Work across Engineering to help instill best practices around machine learning deployment and experimentatio
- 4+ years of working experience in Data Science
- 4+ years of managing a team of 15+ software engineers
- Advanced Python skills and exposure machine learning techniques and methodologies
- Experience with developing real-time services at scale (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes) and real-time event streaming (e.g. Kafka, Flink etc.)
- Track record of working with open-ended questions and turning obscure problems into actionable solutions
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.