Senior Software Engineer at Grubhub (Greater NYC Area, NY or Remote)
We're all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you're looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas-all while having fun together-Grubhub is the place for you!
More About the Role
We are looking for data engineers to help us expand and improve our big data and machine learning pipelines powering Grubhub's restaurant supply growth. You will work with smart, humble, and committed colleagues to create innovative, robust, automated solutions for Grubhub's three-way marketplace. This is an unbeatable opportunity for data engineers who hope to work on and deliver world-class data products in a friendly and fun environment.
The Impact You Will Make
- Work with high volumes of data and distributed systems using technologies such as Spark, Hive, AWS EMR, AWS S3, Azkaban, Presto, etc.
- Work with data scientists and analysts to productionize data pipelines and machine learning models, so that they can scale and accommodate various business requirements.
- Doing deep dives on business verticals where you become one of the foremost experts on that vertical in the company.
- Translate from technical to business, and vice versa. You need to be able to speak with the least technically-minded client (internal or external) and make technology make sense to them. Then turn around and do it the other way.
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong data engineering architecture, development practices, and new technologies.
- Maintain up-to-date technical documentation while continuously delivering technical solutions and business impacts.
What You Bring to the Table
- A bachelor's degree, preferably in a computer-related discipline.
- Excellent knowledge of SQL.
- 5+ years experience with Python or another general-purpose programming language.
- Background in ETL and data processing, familiar with how to transform data to meet business goals.
- Great communication skills, ability to take on ownership of projects at both a technical and organizational level.
- Willingness to understand the larger business context.
- Enthusiasm for a fast-paced, tech, and product-oriented environment, and the desire to work with a great team!
Got These? Even Better
- 5+ years of experience developing large scale data processing pipelines with Apache Spark.
- Familiarity with traditional data warehousing paradigms such as 3NF, star schemas and dimensional modeling.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to crystallize and broadly socialize insights.
- Rigorous attention to detail and accuracy.
- Exposure to Amazon AWS or another cloud provider.
- Be passionate about continuous learning and knowledge sharing.
- Familiarity with agile software development methodologies.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You'll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Vaccination Requirement: Grubhub employees are required to be fully vaccinated. Candidates must confirm vaccination status at time of hire, and must provide proof of full-Covid-19 vaccination within 2 weeks of starting employment. Fully vaccinated is defined as: "2 weeks have passed since your second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson's vaccine.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you're applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.