Proper is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer – we recruit, train, compensate and promote our team members based on qualifications. We know how important it is not only to include, but to actively seek out a diversity of opinions and voices.
We want to hear from you regardless of your race, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.About Proper
Proper is on a mission to improve people’s overall health and happiness by being the trusted expert that brings an integrative and holistic approach to sleep wellness. Our vision is to build a modern sleep wellness business grounded in truth and supported by the best in data, technology, and science.
About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our pre-launch team.
In this role, you will design, implement, and manage our first-generation backend technology and data stack. You will also be a hands on full stack developer, leading and partnering with internal and contract technical resources.
You will be asked to balance short term technical deliverables with the creation of a durable software and data stack to service future generations of the business. You will play a key role in bringing together our mobile, web, and physical (retail) experiences into an integrated, multichannel, sleep wellness experience.Responsibilities:
- Shape the company’s overall technical strategy, architecture, and stack
- Develop an architecture that supports rapid product iteration and enables product insights and data science
- Design and manage our data layer and warehouse
- Build cohesive APIs that empower front-end developers to design delightful, omni-channel user experiences
- Define technical requirements with clarity on feasibility, timeline, and cost
- Understand and implement best practices for data protection and privacy
- 5+ years software development experience
- 5+ years software architecture experience designing systems end-to-end, from data model to user interface
- Prior experience working on external user facing products (consumer or B2B)
- Solid experience with cloud-based infrastructure and operations
- Experience with a relational (e.g., PostgreSQL) and NoSQL data stores (e.g. Redis, MongoDB)
- Previous ecommerce experience helpful
- Previous healthcare technology experience helpful (health tracking, coaching, fitness, weight loss, nutrition, therapy)
- B.Sc in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Remote or NYC-area candidates