Brand Design Team Lead
Stack Overflow exists to serve developers. Whether we’re helping them get answers to their questions or find a new job, we build products that millions of developers use. As the brand design team lead at Stack Overflow, you’ll create integrated campaigns and brand initiatives that are thoughtful, impactful, and beautiful.
In your capacity as a brand designer, you will be a generalist: responsible for creating on-brand design solutions for projects that span brand identity, editorial design, marketing collateral, physical spaces, swag, internal communications, in-product illustration, and everything in between. In your capacity as team lead, you’ll be guiding our small-but-growing brand design team, improving processes, coaching team members, and taking point on most cross-functional collaboration. You’ll also ensure that the brand design team’s output is consistent and high-quality. In this role, your split will be around 30% management-type duties and 70% design and creative direction.
We’re looking to hire the best person wherever you are in the world, though for this role we’re specifically looking for someone who can have substantial overlap with US East Coast working hours (around 9AM to 5PM ET).
Skills & Requirements
What you’ll do:
- Conceptualize and craft elegant on-brand visuals that bring complex ideas and technical content to life.
- Ensure all work - both your work and the work of other members of the brand design team - aligns with design principles and brand standards for a cohesive brand experience.
- Brainstorm, collaborate, trade feedback, and defend design decisions with stakeholders .
- Manage and prioritize day-to-day design workload of multiple projects from concept to completion.
- Coach and manage members of the brand design team.
- Work with a cross-functional team to iterate on and improve our brand identity.
- Lead efforts to integrate our brand design language into Stacks, our design system.
What we want to see:
- At least 6 years of design experience at an advertising agency, at a design firm, or on an in-house team.
- Evidence of high-quality design work in a portfolio that demonstrates strong conceptual thinking through a variety of projects.
- Evidence of a strong sense of design principles, typography, and layout.
- Experience designing for a variety of creative projects including digital and non-digital promotional channels.
- Expert in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and/or other industry-standard creative tools.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A desire to or experience with working in a distributed environment (where all team members are remote).
- A desire to manage other designers, or management experience.
- High levels of organization and ability to work independently.
- If this job interests you but you aren’t certain if you meet all of the requirements, apply anyway!
- We don’t consider applications without cover letters - please make sure to include yours, and make sure to talk about why you want to work here (at Stack Overflow, specifically)!
What you’ll get in return:
- Flexible hours
- 20 days paid vacation + holidays
- Completely free health insurance - no copay, no premiums (US residents)
- Generous parental leave (10-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll help you set up a great home office, with an ergonomic chair, standing desk, and any other equipment you need to do your job.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll get your own private office in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world's developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, and enterprise knowledge sharing.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York with some of the best amenities of any New York startup, and we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings and ceremony to an absolute minimum.
What we value:
- Servant Leadership: We lead by empowering and inspiring people to do their best work, not by micromanaging. We hire smart people, set them up for success, then get out of their way.
- Collaboration: The best products are created when people from different backgrounds and disciplines work closely together in an environment of respect and trust.
- Transparency: Trust is built on openness and transparency. If there is not a good reason to keep it a secret, we share it. For example, we share our complete engineering salary formula.
- Inclusion: We do our best work when we can be our whole selves at work. We’re committed to policies and benefits that support people, and leaders who foster an open and inclusive culture.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.