At Discovery, our mission is to serve passionate fans with products, platforms and experiences that inspire, inform and entertain through industry leading content and deeply trusted & beloved brands.
Discovery Digital Products is a fast-paced, innovative design, product and technology group that designs and builds industry leading products, platforms and experiences. What makes us unique from the rest of the burgeoning entertainment technology world is that we have award-winning content, work with a wide range of creators, and have the backing of a world leading Global Media Company.
As Director Product Design, you shape the design vision and strategy while driving the execution of our customer facing products that engage, delight and resonate with fans of Discovery, HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, Science, ID, OWN and more. You will thrive in a customer focused, customer obsessed environment using research & data to design experiences people love.
At Discovery, we’re looking for leaders, innovators and creative problem solvers who are passionate about their work, and are driven to engage, entertain and delight the millions of users who visit our digital properties every day. If you want to work on the future of media alongside amazingly talented colleagues, then this is the place for you.
This role is a Full Time Staff Position that will work on-site in our offices at New York, NY.
Discovery Digital is seeking an experienced Director Product Design leader responsible for driving innovative and groundbreaking user experiences across our core, platforms, products and services. As Director Product Design you will guide the Design & Product Teams to collaborate with fellow members of the Product, Engineering, Data, Business and Marketing Teams to conceptualize, design and develop vision and product roadmaps into usable, useful and delightful products and experiences. The Director Product Design inspires members of your team and colleagues to develop and deliver award-winning products, interfaces and experiences people love and engage with every day.
1. Work closely with Product, Engineering, Data, Business and Marketing to deliver industry-leading product experiences across Discovery’s products, platforms, services and channels.
2. Lead & Manage large-scale, high-priority apps, connected devices and product experiences.
3. Define, Lead, Manage & Facilitate Design Thinking Practices throughout all Product Teams.
4. Demonstrate proven experience with successful multi-platform designs and project delivery.
5. Demonstrate and manage the highest design standards - providing clear Design direction to team members, stakeholders, and outside agencies/vendors.
6. Identify/pursue new targets and opportunities that will advance organizational business goals.
7. Present concepts, strategies and goals effectively to Mid & Senior Level Executives.
8. Identify gaps and anticipate risks; take actions to address design risks & determine solutions.
9. Tracks Design Team progress, manages resource allocation and escalates issues and risks.
10. Lead team through multi-platform design challenges/obstacles via positive creative solutions.
11. Inspire/mentor others on design teams and other creative teams within the organization.
12. Provide hands-on Product Design; establish design direction/concepts and delegations.
13. Translate customer, product, business and marketing inputs into best-in class products that provide greater awareness, positive feedback, and increased engagement.
* 7+ years of experience as Design Leader and/or Sr. Product Designer within a large-scale consumer facing organization, agency or multi-platform product company.
* 5+ years experience designing multi-platform apps and connected product experiences.
* BA Degree or higher in Product Design, Interactive Design, User Centric Design, HCI or Cognitive Psychology (OR) combined work experience with human factors training.
* Experience designing 10ft, VUI, Connected and Multi-Modal Product Design Systems required.
* Deep knowledge and experience in Mobile, Living Room & Connected Product Environments
* Expertise in Sketch, InVision Tools, Adobe Suite and rapid prototyping are required.
* Knowledge of emerging trends for digital products and cross-platform customer integrations.
* Experience managing high performance teams of designers across internal and external teams – both direct and dotted line reports.
* Hands on experience with variety of user research techniques including user testing, personas, user tasks and scenarios, internal and external user interviews.
* Education in Interaction Design, HCI, UX Architecture, and/or Product Design required.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
* Hands on team player that can work easily with multiple stakeholders including Design, Product, Engineering, Data & Research, Project Management, Marketing, Business and Sales.
* Experience working in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects and deadlines.
* Capable of leading Design Thinking & Design Sprint sessions to ensure that a clear vision is implemented through Design Thinking Best Practices.
* Proven track record with a variety of successful products delivered across multiple platforms, screens and ecosystems with experience in multiple brands, productions and operations.
* Passionate self-starter with high-level of initiative, strong sense of ownership and a disciplined approach to quality and its affect on the intended audience.
* Excellent oral and written skills, and able to present to small or large groups of people including Design, Marketing, Production, Product Teams, and Executive Stakeholders.
* High confidence working on complex multi-platform consumer focused product ecosystems.
* Consumer Electronics, Entertainment & Lifestyle Product experience are a BIG PLUSSES.
* Strong portfolio showcasing broad range of UX, IXD, Visual, and Design Process is a MUST.
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]