Lead Designer, Brand at Better
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
*This role is open to be hired Remotely*
We're looking for a Lead Designer on our Brand team with experience in managing visual designers across brand efforts, and maintaining set guidelines. Someone to help manage, run, and direct a small team of designers. You will partner with leaders from Creative, Marketing, and Brand to help shape the creative vision and ensure it's executed with thought and high level craft, shaping the future of design at Better.
In particular you will:
- Advertising, marketing, corporate identity, brand management, new media communication
- Collaborate with copywriters to deliver a meaningful experience
- Deliver great design outputs well rooted on the brand strategy and guidelines
- Expertise in developing creative solutions in a variety of campaigns, across a broad range of problems and media, including graphic design, Corporate ID, interactive, and collateral
- Solid knowledge of the requirements of the creative process, including typical time and resources needed to produce quality work, with efficiency and to specification
- Articulate and defend conceptual and directional choices
- Help us to increase the maturity level of design in the company
- Be solution-oriented in the face of challenges
- Have a self-starting, entrepreneurial spirit
- 5+ years relevant experience specializing in visual design
- Dieter Rams, Massimo Vigneli, Josef Müller-Brockmann, Henri Cartier-Bresson are your masters
- Gestalt, Leading, Balance, Hierarchy, Consistency, and Retouch are everyday words for you
- You solve for patterns and avoid repetitive tasks at all costs
- You use Figma most of the time because you want to collaborate fast with your team
- Simplification is your everyday motto
- Your layouts and directions are based on design rules
- You know the 12 principles of animation
- You are 60% systematic and 40% intuitive thinker
- You know how good copy can change the perception of the layout
- You know when the form follows function and when the form follows emotion
- Comfortable working alone and in collaborative cross-discipline teams
- Have an eye for detailed design and can understand a variety of aesthetics
- Direct and to the point, yet diplomatic and fair
- Good sense of humor and plays nice with others
- Strong point of view with the written and verbal communication skills to back it up
- Appetite for problem solving
- Experience managing and leading various creative efforts in parallel
- Ability to lead and influence
- A strong understanding of how creativity can achieve business objectives while still meeting brand standards for aesthetic and communication quality
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.