Principal Product Designer at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Discovery, Inc. is the number one leader in engaging lifestyle media, producing original content and products for beloved brands such as Food Network, HGTV, the Discovery Channel, and the Travel Channel. The Direct-to-Consumer Team drives Discovery’s business forward by creating delightful, cross-platform experiences for our digital audiences. We are looking for a Principal Product Designer to join our Food Network Kitchen team and lead the design of product features across the entire life cycle and multiple launches.
You must be…
● forward-thinking, imaginative, and willing to take risks with your work
● a systematic thinker who sees the big picture (yet is still attentive to details)
● an energetic and natural leader, with a talent for building relationships and inspiring a design team
● a strong and confident communicator (verbal, written, and visual)
● an expert in current aesthetic trends with deep expertise in designing against the constraints of multiple technology platforms (mobile, web, connected tv)
● an expert in foundational design principles, with deep expertise in multiple design verticals (e.g. UI, interaction, information design, typography, color, illustration, animation, etc.)
● a proactive problem solver with excellent time management skills
● always empathetic with and advocating for the customer
● familiar with Product Discovery methods and collaborative frameworks
● ready to roll up your sleeves and be hands-on
1. understand the Food Network Kitchen customers and their needs deeply; always fiercely advocate from their perspective.
2. lead and mentor a design squad to shape the vision and strategy while driving the execution of new features that will engage, delight, and resonate with Food Network Kitchen customers.
3. build relationships and collaborate with other design squads to ensure a consistent brand experience across the entire FNK ecosystem.
4. partner with other team leaders (Product, Design, Editorial, Marketing, Engineering, etc.) to innovate across platforms - mobile, web, connected tv, and emerging.
5. work autonomously, requiring minimal design direction or oversight.
6. present and advocate for your ideas and solutions to senior leadership.
7. contribute to the planning, preparation, and analysis of user testing - both for value proposition and usability.
8. be flexible and willing to pursue alternate solutions based on user testing, feedback, and data.
9. contribute to the continuous evolution of a strong work culture and collaborative processes.
* 5+ years experience in a design leadership role (all in digital)
* an exceptional portfolio of digital projects (shipped to market) that demonstrates your ability to elevate a brand through creative, comprehensive, joyful experiences
* ability to work within an existing brand universe while also evolving it
* experience with a range of sketch, wireframing and prototyping tools (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, Invision, Sketch, Proto.io, whiteboards, and, pen and paper)
* experience creating products for a range of digital platforms: web, mobile, connected tv, and emerging platforms
* experience working in an agile environment with a cross-functional team
* must have the legal right to work in the United States
new york city, new york, nyc, ny