Principal Product Designer
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm’s design team is a group of fast-moving and creative thinkers who thrive on creating beautiful products Skimm’rs love. This role is a key member on the team, working cross-functionally to own product experiences end to end and bring theSkimm’s voice to life.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Define and execute design for our most important product and business initiatives.
- Create experiences for our products that are simple, elegant, and bring theSkimm’s voice to life.
- Foster a collaborative process with cross-functional teams and develop the experience of a product from conception to launch.
- Create user scenarios, user journeys, wireframes, UI designs and prototypes throughout the full cycle of product development.
- Engage directly with users to test design ideas and solutions, leveraging that feedback and data to iterate on the designs.
- Work with the entire design team to evolve the design system, understanding the value of design patterns and helping to build and maintain a cohesive visual language.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 8+ years of product design experience
- Demonstrated understanding of user-centered design principles
- Passionate advocate for the user, but know when to look beyond their requests to discover the true problem
- Experience with lo-fi & hi-fi prototyping
- Experience designing cross-platform products
- Enthusiasm and excitement for working collaboratively or individually, and ability to maintain a self-starter attitude in any environment
- Proficient in product design tools (Sketch or Figma) and prototyping tools (such as Invision, Figma, Principal, etc.)
WHAT WILL SET YOU APART
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm, and a passion for our audience and mission
- Keen interest in elevating theSkimm’s existing products and bringing new offerings to life
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
Please include a link to an online or PDF portfolio with your application