Senior Product Designer, New Products at Justworks
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, Diversity + Inclusion and wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-informed and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.About the team
The new products team at Justworks is focused on exploring and identifying new opportunities to help further our mission to help entrepreneurs and businesses grow with confidence. We’re a small team focused on understanding our customers deeply through prototyping and research. We are believers in the philosophy of quantity over quality and hope in the process we craft a great product and viable business.What you’ll do
- Interview potential users to learn about their “jobs to be done” and uncover problems/opportunities
- Approach problems critically, help refine statements of the problems, and come up with many ideas on how we might solve them
- Strengthen and critique different directions the team can take
- Compose design directions that show breadth in exploring potential solutions
- Build and test prototypes that range in fidelity depending on the question being answered
- Talk to users, learn what’s working, what isn’t, try and identify where opportunities lie
- Contribute and author our values / culture / behaviors that will help us understand who we want to be and work with
- Work closely with a small team trying to move quickly to figure out what works, together.
Impact of product designers:
- Collaboration - we need folks who can help us understand what is possible, what’s reasonable, what will be effective. No one person has all the answers, and together we’re stronger and more effective than we would be as individuals.
- Constructive dissent - all of us have blind spots and need to have each other’s backs. One way we achieve this is through constructive dissent. We look for clarity on what our goals and objectives are, take the time to listen and understand one another, especially when we have differing perspectives, and decide what the best course of action is based on everything we know in that moment..
- Be a champion for creativity, lateral thinking, and problem solving grounded in delivering value to our customers.
- Craft product experiences that are designed to have a practical and emotionally resonant impact with our audiences.
- Curious and ask lots of questions
- Open to new ideas, experiences, and lifelong learning
- Okay with a high level of ambiguity and missing details
- Or if you need those clarity/detail, you’re willing to create clarity and fill in the details
- Someone who takes initiative and ownership of work
- A believer in the growth mindset
- Not precious with your ideas - we’re looking for what’s smart and effective not who’s great
- Inquisitive and poke holes in suggestions and ideas, also suggest ways to build on top of ideas
- Brave enough to make decisions with incomplete information
- An excellent visual communicator, and an effective communicator overall (written/verbal communication)
- Comfortable sharing from your experiences and perspective
- Confident in making technical decisions that are best at that given point in time
- Have 4-6 years of experience as a product designer
- Excited by what’s described above
Some nice to haves:
- You’ve built and launched new products before (side projects count!)
- Experience designing chat bots/conversational UIs
- Skills that are adjacent to product design (user research, front end coding, project management, product discovery, brand design, copywriting, etc.)
If you don’t have all of the above, please reach out anyway! Everything above probably isn’t necessary and is more of a starting point for a conversation.
Skills we’re looking for:
- Experience working on product teams where you collaborate with engineers, product managers, and other folks to build great software experiences
- Communication! Not only do you know how to visualize/compose great experiences, but you also know how to present your work to colleagues early and often.
- Process - you know how to do creative work by helping to craft a clear articulation of the problem and objectives, exploring different possibilities, knowing and learning what good looks like, working with the team to ship products, and learn from our experiences to iterate and improve the product and process
- Visualizing product ideas in the tool of your choice (we’re fans of Figma)
- Compromise/negotiation - the best products are the ones that end up in customers hands. Sometimes this means compromising on our vision - it’s important to know when to push and when to hold back
- Attention to detail and a high bar for quality - from grids and systems to words and type, you care about the impact of many details in aggregate and how they add up to a cohesive experience
- Zooming out from details, you also understand the relationships between the details, how they come together and interact as components, and understand how to fit those together to deliver value through design. Going out even further, you can see how the new products are just a small part of the whole of our customers’ experiences as employees and managers
- While we’re a small team at the moment where you’ll be the sole designer, we’re also looking for the ability to teach and mentor folks on how they grow in design. Early on this will be non-designer colleagues, but over time there’s potential to help other designers grow through your expertise and experience.
Practical things to know
We’re working at Orbital in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, and also occasionally the Justworks HQ at Starrett-Lehigh. This role reports to the Senior Manager, New Products.
Visa sponsorship for this role is currently not available.
Diversity at Justworks
Justworks’ vision is for all identities, backgrounds and expressions to be represented in the workplace. We're building the foundation for long-term success and intend to cultivate a safe, collaborative and inclusive space and company culture.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status.