Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
*This role is open to be hired remotely.
The Design Team:
Design plays a massive role in achieving this. Mortgages are complicated and quite frankly, stale. As designers, our job is to take all this complexity, distill it down to its essence, and repackage it into something simple, intuitive, and enjoyable.
That’s why we don’t distinguish between UX, Visual, or Product Designers. Our designers are all of them — part business strategist, part user researcher, and 100% committed to creating an exceptional user experience in a space that sorely needs it.
The Role: Senior Designer
As a Senior Designer at Better, your task is to blend design and strategy to solve complex user problems. You must be highly strategic and detail-oriented, with a deep understanding of visual design, UX, and service design. We’re looking for T-shape designers – experts in one area, yet comfortable with a broad range of challenges. This can encompass everything from tough interaction patterns to intricate service design solutions. Across them all, you can balance quick delivery timelines and the voices of many different stakeholders. Product Managers, Engineers, Data Scientists, and UX Researchers will see you as a partner, not just an executor.
Collaboration and critique are at the core of everything we do. We believe that creating the best product experience requires intense collaboration, constant questioning, and a healthy level of challenge. The user is always our focus. So, we don’t waste time presenting in Google Slides or Keynote. We prototype, test, and iterate — early and often.
What you bring:
- 5+ years of experience
- A portfolio of exceptional work across digital products, branding, and user experience applications
- Expertise developing and conveying ideas, data, and business concepts clearly in written and visual format
- Demonstrate and model beautiful, functional visual and interaction design, typography, and hierarchy
- Expertise in Figma, Illustrator, Principle, and Google Slides
- Attention to detail— every decision matters
- A track record of shipping great design, and an understanding of releasing features in phased/incremental stages
- Experience and appetite for identifying and solving complex, ambiguous design problems with best-in-class solutions
- Proven ability to lead and collaborate in cross-functional environments
- Ability to create project timelines and prioritize current projects
- Impeccable execution and care for all aspects of design, from conceptual thinking to motion and visual design
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and present findings, and articulate design rationale
- Experience working in a highly iterative, collaborative environment where people share work daily
- Familiarity with prototyping tools (Principle, Invision)
- Proven ability to ship work fast without sacrificing quality or impacting delivery velocity
- Flexible, adaptable, able to work in an entrepreneurial environment
- Zero ego
Job Req ID: JR101663
What you’ll do:
- Ideate around, concept, and create exceptional product solutions for complex strategic problems across multiple touchpoints
- Create your own prototypes in Principle or a similar design program
- Consistently attend weekly shadowing sessions with members of other departments (Mortgage Experts, Sales Managers, Underwriters, etc.)
- Review, critique, and provide feedback to other designers
- Present work to other departments and be comfortable articulating the strategic rationale behind a given solution
- Identify product gaps and roadmap solutions with Product Managers and Engineers
- Partner with PMs and Engineers to set KPIs, gather data and iterate on existing product features/designs
- Work with Senior and Lead Designers to evolve our design system
- Respond to feedback provided by external stakeholders and internal department leads
- IF WANTED: Mentor 1-2 designers
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.