Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel. Available in 220 countries and territories and 50 languages, Discovery reaches viewers on all screens and services, from free-to-air and pay-TV channels, to digital products and streaming services, to social and mobile-first content and formats. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year.
We are looking for a Senior Product Designer with strong visual design and aesthetic skills to join the Digital Studios team and create compelling, easy, and joyful customer experiences for our digital brands across web, mobile apps, and connected TV.
• Forward-thinking, imaginative, and willing to take risks with your work
• A systematic thinker who sees the big picture (yet is still attentive to details)
• A strong and confident communicator (verbal, written, and visual)
• A proactive problem solver with excellent time management skills
• Always empathetic with and advocating for the customer
• An expert in current visual/UI trends and best practices designing for desktop, mobile web, apps, and connected TV.
• An expert in all facets of visual design (typography, grid, hierarchy of information, color, etc.)
- Understand our customers and their values deeply; always fiercely advocate from the customers’ perspective
- Define and execute UX, UI, and Visual designs for complex features to support and integrate a cohesive, multiplatform consumer experience, independently or with minimal guidance; setting consistent interaction and visual design patterns across our products
- Partner with product managers, developers, researchers, editorial and content teams to create engaging experiences from concept until launch
- Effectively plan, conduct, and analyze customer research and user testing, independently or with minimal guidance
- Drive best practices and optimize established team process and mechanisms to ensure designs meet customer needs
- Create beautiful designs that are engaging, visually delightful, and will emotionally resonate with our brands’ fans
- Apply and evolve an established visual brand system
- Rapidly produce multiple concepts and prototypes; know when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make broad stroke sketches and prototypes
- Optimize designs in the face of technical constraints
- Help define user tests to gather feedback and data
- Explore a wide range of solutions without being overly precious about any - understand that it’s about getting to the right solution for the customer
- Effectively communicate your ideas and underlying thinking through in-person presentations and comprehensive documentation (presentations, flows, wireframes, prototypes, etc.)
- Present and advocate for your ideas and solutions to senior leadership
- Be autonomous; take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way
• At least 5 years of experience designing at consumer-focused tech or media companies, designing for desktop and mobile web as a Product Designer, Visual Designer or similar role
• An exceptional portfolio of consumer-facing cross-platform projects (shipped to market) that demonstrates your ability to elevate a brand through innovative and joyful experiences
• Impeccable aesthetic taste, with an expertise in color, typography, layout composition, and current visual design trends
• Ability to work within an existing brand universe
• Experience with a range of sketch, wireframing and prototyping tools (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, Invision, Sketch, Proto.io, Zeplin, whiteboards, and, pen and paper)
• Experience working in an agile environment with a cross-functional team
• A passion for lifestyle brands is a plus
• Knowledge of front-end development is a plus
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.