Hinge is hiring a Senior User Experience (UX) Researcher to improve user experiences on Hinge and drive product excellence. You will focus on generative research (i.e., understanding user needs) and evaluative research (i.e., understanding how well solutions address user needs) with the aim of improving the experience of our existing user base and expanding Hinge’s reach to new, global markets. In this role, you will leverage rigorous research methods to understand how we can make Hinge more inclusive of users’ needs. Your research insights will drive product enhancements and new features—your work will play a key role in helping users around the world find love and delete the app.
You will report to and work collaboratively with the Director of Research. Research at Hinge is part of Product; you will join a growing team of researchers on the close-knit product team and work cross-functionally with Data Science, Engineering, and Marketing to execute and communicate research findings to inform internal and external stakeholders about the user experience. You will be empowered to take initiative on research projects including aligning with the needs of the product team and relevant stakeholders, developing research questions and test plans, executing user testing and sharing research through reports, presentations, and team engagement.
Working here, your research will have tangible impacts for our users in helping them find love and delete the app.
- Lead research initiatives that contribute to increasing feelings of belonging on Hinge for current and new users. Application of rigorous research methods (e.g., user interviews, ethnography, surveys, and daily diaries) will be essential for this role
- Work collaboratively with other researchers and product team members (i.e., product managers and designers) to identify key research questions and prioritize projects in the short and long term
- Generate actionable insights that shape product and business decisions
- Communicate insights in compelling ways; bridge alignment across Hinge teams through written reports and in-person presentations
- Provide mentorship for junior researcher/s
- Collaborate with the Director of Research and Executive leadership on the future trajectory for Hinge research on growth and expansion
Within three months we expect you to:
- Develop a multi-method 3-month research plan that addresses how we can begin to better understand differences in users’ needs
- Lead user feedback research for one existing product feature and summarize key actionable insights and recommendations for how to further personalize the feature to address unique challenges that users experience on Hinge
- Passionate and curious about how user research can be leveraged to improve how users find and maintain romantic connections
- Resourceful, collaborative, and adaptive
- Rigorous research experience including quantitative and/or qualitative methods with a strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of each
- Proficient in data manipulation and analysis with R, SQL, or SPSS (or similar statistical software) or qualitative software such as NVivo
- Dedicated to building meaningful cross-functional collaborations
- Masters or PhD in cultural psychology, social psychology, human development, sociology, anthropology, human computer interaction, political science or related field or equivalent practical experiences
What is not required:
- You do not have to have worked in tech to apply
- You do not have to have an advanced degree to apply, we are open to equivalent practical experiences
- You do not have to be an expert in all user experience methods to apply. Experience with some quantitative (i.e., survey, experimental) and/or qualitative (i.e., interview, ethnographic) methods, desire to solve complex problems, and motivation to continue growing is what we are looking for
Hinge is the dating app for people who want to get off dating apps. In today’s digital world, singles are so busy matching that they’re not actually connecting, in person, where it counts. Hinge is on a mission to change that. So we built an app that’s designed to be deleted. On Hinge, there are no rules, timers, or games. Instead, you’ll meet your most compatible matches and you’ll have unique conversations over what you’ve shared on your detailed profile. It’s a natural way to find a great first date. Currently, 3 out of 4 first dates lead to second dates, we’re the #1 mobile-first dating app mentioned in the New York Times wedding section, and we’re the fastest growing dating app in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia.
- Authenticity: Share your genuine thoughts and opinions directly.
- Courage: Invite and deeply consider challenges and criticism.
- Empathy: Be empathetic, communitarian and trustworthy.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.