Director, Machine Learning and Data Science
Our mission: to eliminate every barrier to mental health.
Spring Health is a comprehensive mental health solution for employers and health plans. Unlike any other solution, we use clinically validated technology called Precision Mental Healthcare to pinpoint and deliver exactly what will work for each person — whether that’s meditation, coaching, therapy, medication, and beyond.
Today, Spring Health equips over 800 companies, from start-ups to multinational Fortune 500 corporations, as a leading and preferred mental health service. Companies like J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., Microsoft, J.B. Hunt, Bumble, and Instacart use the Spring Health platform to provide mental health services to thousands of their team members globally. We have raised over $370 million from prominent investors including Kinnevik, Tiger Global, Northzone, RRE Ventures, and many more. Thanks to their partnership, our current valuation has reached $2.5 billion.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial and experienced leader to drive the science and algorithms powering Spring Health’s precision mental health engine. This is an exciting opportunity for a self-starter, who can be hands-on and help build and establish a team from the ground up. They will independently and in collaboration with others, research, design and implement innovative data products that will positively impact the lives of our members as well as contribute to and move the science and practice of mental health forward.
What you’ll be doing:
- Build, grow and lead our machine learning team and incubate key strategic ML capabilities that can power data products across multiple product lines at Spring Health.
- Conceptualize, design and execute an ambitious data science, ML and AI roadmap for our precision mental health initiative in partnership with product, clinical, and engineering leads.
- Own the business outcomes, KPIs and deliverables of that roadmap working across stakeholders
- Rapidly design, prototype and test ML models in production to deliver best in class mental healthcare services and clinical decision support products.
- Build and scale the analytics, algorithms and recommender systems that can enable the right match for the right patient at the right time.
- Rapidly iterate on early stage products where a hybrid skill set of product intuition, user/business empathy and data science expertise is essential
- Identify and define new strategic ML opportunities and work with cross functional teams to improve how we do data collection, storage, experimentation and analysis.
- Research and be conservant with emerging trends in ML/AI/NLP and identify opportunities to apply them at Spring Health.
- Partner with business stakeholders to understand their needs and develop solutions that drive business outcomes
What we expect from you:
- You are passionate about changing the face of mental health care and Spring Health’s mission to remove all barriers to mental health resonates with you
- You have significant (12+ years) machine learning and data science experience, ideally including an advanced degree in a quantitative field with 5+ years of experience in managing and mentoring a team of data scientists and machine learning engineers.
- You have overseen the development of data products and machine learning models from discovery stage into production.
- You have experience in a broad spectrum of data science techniques (machine learning, AI, deep learning, NLP, unstructured data analytics, supervised/unsupervised learning) and are excited to apply them to solve complex clinical or business problems
- You have experience using, building and enabling analytics infrastructure (ie data, analytics and ML pipelines)
- Desire to progress as a leader, nurture the growth of team members and motivate cross functional teams to achieve results through collaborative empowerment versus an emphasis on individual technical goals.
- You have excellent communication skills and enjoy translating complex analysis into compelling narratives and project plans for non-technical audiences
The target base salary range for this position is $200,800 - $245,000, and is part of a competitive total rewards package including stock options and benefits. Individual pay may vary from the target range and is determined by a number of factors including experience, location, internal pay equity, and other relevant business considerations. We review all employee pay and compensation programs annually at minimum to ensure competitive and fair pay.
Don’t meet every requirement? Studies have shown that women, communities of color and historically underrepresented talent are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Spring Health we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we strongly encourage you to apply. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!
Ready to do the most impactful work of your life? Learn more about our values, how we work, and how hypergrowth meets impact at Spring Health: Our Values
Hypergrowth meets impact
What to expect working here:
- You will be held accountable to an exceptionally high bar and impact
- This may be the fastest work environment you will ever experience in terms of growth, decision-making, and time to impact
- You will be empowered to set your own boundaries and asked to adapt them in critical moments when the company needs you
- You will create processes & products that have never existed before
- You will have very direct conversations and receive continuous feedback to push you to become the most thriving team member and performer you can be
- Change is a constant here: your role, team, responsibilities, and success metrics will shift as the company grows
- You get to be surrounded by some of the brightest minds in the field
- You get to learn and grow at an extremely accelerated pace
- You will experience transparency, integrity, & humility from leadership
- You will be empowered to constantly challenge the status quo
- You get the space to experiment & innovate
- You get to make a transformational impact for the company, mental health, and for real human lives — and you will see that impact quickly
- You will become more resourceful and resilient
- You get to be part of a winning team that opens doors in the future
Benefits provided by Spring Health:
Your Total Health:
- Health, Dental, Vision benefits start on your first day at Spring Health. You and your dependents also receive an individual One Medical account which is valued at $199/year per user. HSA and FSA plans available
- Numerous yearly no-cost visits to the Spring Health network of therapists, coaches, and medication management providers for you and your dependents
- 10 allocated sick days per year
- Flexible paid time off in addition to 12 paid holidays throughout the year
- Access to Gympass, an on-demand virtual benefit that provides wellbeing coaching, and budget management.
- Sabbatical Leave: When you’re a Team Member at Spring Health and hit your four-year Springaversary, you’ll be awarded a four week, fully paid, sabbatical leave.
You And Your family:
- 4-4.5 months of fully paid parental leave
- Spring Health provides team members and their families with sponsored access to Bright Horizons® child care, back-up care, and elder care.
- Access to fertility care support through Carrot, in addition to $4,000 reimbursement for related fertility expenses
Supporting you financially through:
- Our People team benchmarks all salaries using the Radford Global Compensation Database for technology and life sciences industries. Radford benchmarks salaries with 3,589 global firms, 6.5 million employees, and 98 countries across the globe. We do this to ensure all of our team members are paid equally and competitively.
- On top of competitive and benchmarked salary, Spring Health offers incentive pay (based on role), and equity that begins vesting as we celebrate your first year with the company!
- Employer sponsored 401(k) match of up to 2% after 90 days of employment
Creating a culture you can thrive in:
- Flexible work arrangements: 66% of Spring Health team members work fully remote while 33% work in a hybrid model from our New York City offices
- Focus Fridays: no meetings, no distractions, just time for you to get work done.
- Focus Weeks: In Spring 2023, we held our first ever Focus Week, we canceled all non-essential meetings, minimized distractions, and you, our team members, to dive into the key work that gets chopped up or deprioritized during the regular day-to-day. We saw a 36% jump in the average energized score after those five days of flow state work and are finalizing a plan for quarterly Focus Weeks for team members.
- Up to $1,000 Professional Development Reimbursement per calendar year.
- $200 per year donation matching to support your favorite causes
Spring Health is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable legal requirements. Spring Health is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.