See all jobs
As the leader of our Backend team, you’ll use your skills in advocating and unblocking to provide effective technical leadership for our core API.
Frame.io is changing the future of how videos are made by helping over 1 million creative professionals seamlessly collaborate from all over the world.
We’re backed by Accel, FirstMark, Insight Partners, SignalFire and a host of other amazing investors. Our market-leading product is used and loved by companies such as Turner, Disney, NASA, Snapchat, BBC, BuzzFeed, TED, Adobe, Udemy, and many more.
We’re in an exciting period of growth and are always seeking extremely talented and passionate individuals who share our vision for helping visual content creators produce their best work.
About the Role
As the Engineering Manager of Backend Services, you will own Frame.io's core API which powers Frame.io’s web platform, mobile apps, and editor integrations. You are a hands-on leader who enjoys getting deep on architecture and infrastructure while mentoring and growing a high-performance team. You’ll collaborate with stakeholders in product squads, media services, SRE and security to develop and execute on the backend services roadmap.
Engineering at Frame.io is about more than just writing code—it's building unique experiences; products that inspire creativity and allow our users to do great work. We expect our engineers to care about how our products are built, how they look, how they feel, and how they function. As their leader, you should care about these things too!
We're looking for an engineering manager to lead and build a team of talented and creative backend engineers. Our engineering managers have 3 main roles:
- Help your team members grow. We want you to change the trajectory of your team members’ careers.
- Advocate for them. Look for opportunities for them within the organization and beyond.
- Unblock them. Help them work at their maximum potential—working with other teams in the company to make sure that nothing gets in their way.
All managers at Frame.io lead by example and never stop growing their technical skills in order to be an effective leader. You’ll love our team, and our tech stack is pretty great too – our backend engineers work with Elixir, Redis, Postgres and AWS.
- A love of people management, great products and how backend plays a role in product
- 8+ years of overall technical experience, including deep knowledge of architecture and operations of highly available, large-scale backend services
- Experience in Elixir or a comparable functional programming language
- Love of innovating and building a team capable of leveraging the growing capabilities of cloud infrastructure and low latency networks
- 2+ years of people management experience with a track record of unlocking the potential of your team
- Experience in PostgreSQL outside of an ORM, including the ability to design SQL queries for performance and efficiency
- Expertise with common API and services design best practices
- Deep experience in backend service operational considerations—how they scale, how they should fit together, and how they’re likely to break
- Experience designing distributed systems and solving problems related to concurrency
- Experience orchestrating zero downtime migrations
- Ability to analyze and solve difficult problems across the back-end
- Experience with GraphQL a plus!
- Manage our Backend Services team—coach them, advocate for them, unblock them—basically make them happy and productive human beings
- Provide technical leadership to the engineers and be accountable for the engineering output of the team
- Work closely with Product, Design, and other cross-functional partners to create a meaningful vision and roadmap—once a feature ships, you'll pay close attention to the impact of the work, and iterate towards a successful outcome
- Grow, educate, hire, and retain a high-performing team with high delivery cadence in an agile environment
- Build a culture of engineering excellence with a focus on performance, scalability, privacy, and security
- Competitive salary and equity
- Paid parental leave for primary or secondary caregivers
- Unlimited PTO and designated Volunteering paid time off
- Yearly stipend for learning and development
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance and OneMedical membership
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly Work from Home Stipend
- 1 paid company-wide holiday for each month in the calendar year
- All-company week-long winter and summer breaks
Our philosophy is simple. At Frame.io, we believe that working with people of different backgrounds and perspectives allows us to elevate each other and helps us build a better product for our users.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and are committed to providing all employees with a work environment that celebrates individuality and remains free from any form of discrimination and harassment. We base our employment decisions on the needs of our business, job requirements, and applicants' qualifications. In other words, we only care that you’re the best person for the job.