Director of Engineering, Benefits at Justworks
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.The job
Justworks is seeking an experienced and passionate engineering leader to join our team, responsible for overseeing the engineering teams focused on our benefits and health experience for our small business customers. This is a cross-functional group that serves the core value of our business and continues to delight our customers with benefits offerings and complex logic with a simple and elegant UX. The group also has an audacious ambition to bring more automation and sophisticated tooling for our internal stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will bring business acumen and technical expertise and partner with business stakeholders to scale our benefits product engineering team organizationally and technologically.
While we don’t expect you to write code, we expect to have spent some time in your career as a hands-on software engineer and demonstrate technical understanding of the business domain and how modern technologies work.
We expect the size of this group will grow significantly over time and we would like someone who would like to grow with us.What you'll do
Your mission is to bring high energy and a forward-thinking strategy to one of the most critical areas of the Justworks business.
- Lead the product engineering teams and solve mission critical problems for Justworks with high quality engineering disciplines.
- Collaborate closely with business, product, design and other partners to improve efficiency.
- Grow, mentor and lead a team of talented managers and engineers.
- Bring new ideas to scale the engineering organization as a part of the senior engineering leadership group.
- Cultivate engineering culture based on Justworks’ core value (COGIS - Collaboration, Openness, Grit, Integrity, Simplicity)
- Communicate and coordinate with other teams and departments to understand the requirements and opportunities for improvement.
- Help define and communicate technical standards and best practices
- Provide guidance and support growth in other engineers on the team and across other teams
- Enhance our testing, monitoring and continuous deployment infrastructure
- You are experienced in scaling a technology organization and growing teams.
- You are comfortable working with business and product partners in an agile environment.
- You have a deep empathy for customers, especially small business, and for your coworkers.
- You are not afraid of making changes but you do it thoughtfully.
- You have a gut feeling and vision but you also rely on data to back it up.
- You can talk about systems architecture and software development concepts from experience.
- You strive to learn new things and raise your own bar.
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.