Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. In addition to the open source version of the DB, we offer CockroachCloud, a self-service, fully managed cloud offering of CockroachDB. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy.About the Role
Reporting into our VPE the Engineering Director will be responsible for leading and growing the CockroachCloud Console team at Cockroach Labs. The Console team is responsible for building and maintaining the user experience and business logic for the CockroachCloud control panel which includes billing, configuration, and administration. Candidates should have experience using or building databases, delivering scalable web applications that are a pleasure to use, and a passion for mentoring and growing engineering teams. The expectation is that this team will expand into multiple teams as we continue to scale our overall engineering org by over 100% this fiscal year.You Will
- Drive the direction of a high visibility, high impact group within the engineering team, focused on CockroachCloud Console
- Ensure that the team is built to scale and set-up for long-term success, which may include spinning off new teams
- Recruit, mentor, develop and make top talent effective.
- Establish engineering success metrics and engineering goals that are aligned with the rest of the company.
- Collaborate with product, and business teams to align business and strategic goals with technology-driven initiatives.
- Provide technical leadership, technology vision, career development, and mentoring to team members ranging from new grad to principal level
- Lead a multi-shore engineering team (and potentially teams) in the US and international locations.
In your first 30 days, you will go through a series of onboarding that is both company and engineering focused. You will spend time getting to know the individuals on your team, and what they are working on. You will also meet with other members of Engineering leadership to learn more about the organizational goals and structure. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
By 3 months, you’ll be fully ramped up and responsible for driving the direction of your team and beginning to plan future projects. You will have established a regular cadence of check-ins with the members of your team and started making organizational and procedural improvements. You will be leading high-level architectural conversations, as well as planning for the growth of your group, potentially expanding into multiple development teams as needed.You Have
- Experience managing and growing an engineering team of 30+, and ideally multiple teams of similar size
- Experience managing and mentoring both individual contributors and TLs and Managers
- Comfort with being an advocate for the engineering team and able to push back on and challenge ideas.
- Passion for organizational design.
- Exposure to large scale systems such as distributed systems, web applications, or databases.
- Empathy towards colleagues and work situations.
- Domain expertise a plus.
- 2+ years of Director-level of experience managing high performing, experienced teams.
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science or related fields and/or equivalent work experience.
Reporting to Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, and search NYC for cannoli's with his wife and kids.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]