Director, Engineering at Stash (Remote)
Want to help everyday Americans build wealth? Financial inequality is increasing and too many people are getting left behind. At Stash, we believe in the power of simplifying investing, making it easy and affordable for everyday Americans to build wealth and achieve their financial goals.
We’re one of the fastest growing fintechs in the U.S. and have had another record-breaking year. In 2021 we almost doubled our headcount and valuation. Our personal finance app makes investing easy and affordable; this year 6 million customers set aside more than $3 billion with Stash.
Prioritizing People is one of our core values and has been key to a healthy work-life balance and a great sense of fulfillment and inclusion. We employ a true people first - hybrid model. Live and work where you feel the most productive, whether that is in your home, in an office, or a combination of both. Anywhere in the US or UK.
We are seeking a Director of Engineering with a passion for building customer-centric, reliable, scalable, and performant software. In this role, you will provide strategic technical guidance and people development for your business unit’s Engineering teams and managers, with a focus on simplicity, scalability, problem solving and successful delivery. Our ideal candidate will add a technical, mentoring, and mission-driven presence across the broader organization and help lead all of our software engineering efforts. We place great value on cross-functional collaboration skills. In this role, you will support and mentor engineering managers in their career development and work with our VP of Engineering on building processes around recruiting, onboarding, and ongoing employee development. A strong track record of recruiting and retaining high-performing engineering talent is preferred.
What You’ll Do:
TECHNOLOGY AND EXECUTION
- Frame and define high-level engineering initiatives
- Work with teams and stakeholders to ensure clear requirements and deadlines
- Guide engineering teams to continuously improve, meet deadlines, and consistently deliver high-quality software
- Direct and work with engineering teams to solve a class of highly technical problems including:
- Architecture and design
- Code and code patterns, API design
- Testing and code quality
- Reliability, scalability and security
- Infrastructure development and cloud cost management
- Deliver business results in accordance with quarterly OKRs
- Work with peers and senior leadership to standardize and evolve engineering methodologies and best practices
- Establish clear goals and standards for engineering managers and senior engineers to promote a culture of ownership; coach and develop these leaders
- Ensure technical and career growth opportunities for team members
- Mentor and sponsor engineers; oversee programs for engineering growth
- Mentor and develop engineers to confidently and capably perform incident management activities in support of our internal SLOs
- Inspire, build, develop and lead sustainable and reliable engineering teams
- Build and foster a culture of “engineering excellence,” “operational excellence,” “customer obsession,” and ownership
- Build strong working and collaborative relationships with Product Management, UX Design, and Marketing
- Help develop and evangelize a strong engineering culture including influence across the wider engineering organization
- Partner with the People Team to support and develop recruitment and hiring plans
- Build team competencies and processes to quickly react to resolve challenges and bottlenecks while developing these skills in engineering team members
- Facilitate communication and collaboration between our engineering teams and the rest of the organization
- Document and socialize best practices
INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- 10+ years developing customer-facing software and mobile solutions
- BS/MS in Computer Science or relevant industry experience
- Highly proficient technical knowledge of current tools and best practices at scale
- Monitoring and alerting
- Cloud services/infrastructure
- Incident management
- Proven ability and experience developing people managers and technical leaders
- Proven ability to successfully execute against strategy in partnership with other functions including Product Management, Sales, Marketing, Customer Experience, Finance, and Leadership.
- Commitment to excellence and alignment with the value/goals of what we’re building for customers
- Entrepreneurial and mission-focused mindset
- Player-coach who can jump in and do and ignite the team around an effort and release
- Data-driven decision maker, willing to take risks, fail fast, and iterate quickly
- Strong communication skills to effectively and transparently communicate and mobilize all levels and functions of Stash.
- 360 view and understanding of product development lifecycle and customer experience
- Being personable, approachable, professional and inclusive
- Security focused with a view of security embedded in the SDLC and each release
- Experience building applications at scale
- Experience managing small to midsize engineering teams
- Experience transitioning monolithic systems to distributed solutions
- A keen understanding of testing best practices (TDD is a plus!)
- Familiarity with or interest in our AWS-based stack: Ruby on Rails, Scala, Kotlin, Sidekiq, Postgres, Redis
- Familiarity with or interest in front-end technologies: Swift, Kotlin, React.js
- Familiarity with financial security and privacy issues, as well as regulatory frameworks in the banking and financial services industry
At Stash it is our mission to help everyday Americans invest and build wealth. That includes people of all races, genders, and abilities, so it is important to us to acknowledge and address the issues of inequality in financial services head on.
Diversity and inclusion are essential to living our values, promoting innovation, and building the best products. Our success is directly related to our employees and we believe that our team should reflect the diversity of the customers that we serve. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Stash is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.
If you require any reasonable accommodations to make your application process more accessible please reach out to [email protected]
Invest in Yourself:
- Equity & Stash Accounts [Invest, Retire, Custodial, Bank]
- Flexible PTO
- Learning & Development Fund
- Work from Home Stipends
- Parental Leave [Primary & Secondary]
- Comparably's Best Company for Diversity, Women, Culture, and more! (2022)
- BuiltIn’s Best Places to Work (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022)
- Forbes Fintech 50 (2019, 2020, 2021)
- Best Digital Bank, Finovate Awards (2020)
- Tearsheet Challenge Awards, Best Banking Card Product - Stock-Back® Card, 2020
- LendIt Fintech Innovator of the Year (2019 & 2020)
Salary Range: $180k - $270k
The base salary range represents the reasonably anticipated low and high end of the salary range for this position. Actual salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as the candidate’s qualifications, skills, experience and competencies, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data for companies of our size and industry.
**No recruiters, please**