Director of Engineering at Perry Health (Greater NYC Area, NY)
Perry Health is on a mission to rethink chronic care delivery through a purely-remote, continuous care model. This remote-first approach allows us to extend high-quality specialist care to all patients, regardless of geography or other care disparities. Although we plan on making Perry available to every patient with a chronic illness, we're starting with a focus on Medicare patients living with diabetes. Perry's remote care fills the necessary gap between physician appointments for our patients.
We equip our patients with cellular-connected devices (glucometers, blood pressure cuffs, etc.) that transmit data passively upon use, allowing even the most tech naive patient to participate. This real-time data flows to Perry's team of clinicians (physicians, nurses, dietitians), who monitor trends in the data and deliver proactive care over the phone. We've built a proprietary continuous-care Electronic Health Record (EHR), which can ingest these data pipelines and build elegant workflows on top of them for our clinical staff. Facing a chronic disease alone is overwhelming and isolating, and we aim to alleviate that emotional burden by providing care to our members 24/7.
Our high-touch approach to chronic care management creates tangible outcomes for our members and thousands of dollars in savings to the system by preventing hospitalizations, and we're just getting started.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking an experienced Director of Engineering to help scale and lead our team. The Director of Engineering will play a proactive role in defining technical strategies and will be highly involved with major architectural and strategic decisions around the growth and evolution of our team. You will provide career development, coaching, and mentorship to the members of your teams and cultivate emerging leaders. You will hire, train and retain great talent. You will work closely with product and leadership to ensure that the engineering efforts are aligned with the company’s objectives and product features are delivered successfully. This role will be the most senior engineering leader within our organization and will have an incredible opportunity to guide the team into the future and grow along with the company.
- Oversee the development, delivery, and transformation of platforms & products by establishing and consistently executing on product strategies and in alignment with a dynamic product roadmap
- Provide thought leadership across multiple engineering, product, and business planning teams to ensure we are building a scalable software product with maximum alignment toward our business goals
- Hire, mentor and develop the Software Engineering Managers that report to you and hold them to high standards in how they coach team members and enforce quality bars
- Build and foster a culture of engineering excellence and accountability capable of producing best-in-class engineering products with a focus on team, quality, agility, trust, and timely delivery
- Drive modern engineering principles and strong development practices by implementing relevant techniques, processes, and best practices
- Establish and maintain metrics, goals, and quality standards
- Form partnerships with key functions and senior leaders from across the organization
- 10+ years of Software Engineering experience with a minimum of 5 years in a technical leadership role
- Experience scaling and leading a distributed team of multidisciplinary engineers through a high growth phase
- Expertise with modern, large-scale data engineering using cloud native architectures and experience with developing data systems at scale
- Ability to lead the development of resilient, high-performing platforms that process significant data loads
- Solid understanding of the mobile application development lifecycle and experience with modern web development technologies
- Experience in leading a web-based SaaS platform
- Interest in implementing incremental and forward-looking technology strategies
- Excellent technical communication skills and the ability to effectively inform all levels of the organization
- Experience managing multiple teams, including external development partners, working on various product initiatives
- Track record of effectively aligning engineering practices with organizational strategy to deliver business results
- A deep understanding of cloud technologies and cloud security
- Experience working in and leading an Agile software development organization
- Experience building scalable architectures and distributed systems
- Knowledge of security practices and systems required to manage highly sensitive data
- BS in CS or equivalent experience, MS preferred
- Experience in healthcare technology strongly preferred
Some of our benefits include:
- Perry-funded health benefits (medical, dental, vision) - starting at zero cost to you
- One Medical membership and Teladoc virtual care
- Therapy on your time with a free year of Talkspace membership
- Hybrid team with a headquarters in NYC
- Competitive Paid Parental Leave for parents
ABOUT OUR TEAM
Perry Health launched in August of 2021 and has been supported by investors such as Left Lane, Primary Ventures, General Catalyst and Box Group, most recently raising a $23 million Series A. Our team has helped build businesses at the intersection of technology, consumer, healthcare and retail including Vroom, K Health, Gilt, ShopKeep, SoulCycle, and more. Our team is committed to bringing together people from different backgrounds and perspectives to deliver real outcomes to our members.
Our patients are our purpose: We understand that the decisions we make have an impact on our patients’ health. We are a healthcare company above all else. The choices we make are always in the best interest of our patients.
Bring your best self: The authenticity of our team drives our innovation. We show up for each other and our patients every day. Your teammates will count on you for motivation and support, and you should expect the same in return. Conversely, recognize when you are not at your best so you can seek support and take time to recharge.
Own your ideas and your results: Each member of the team contributes to the growth of Perry. Identify problems, seek solutions that maximize impact. Ownership is key; seek out support from team members, and take accountability for the results of your efforts.
Move fast, but with purpose: Consistent, rapid growth is expected. Set goals, work with purpose, assess, reassess, and pivot when necessary. Perfection should not impede progress. Ego should not prevent reevaluation. Each day will provide opportunities for learning and growth and will move us closer to our goals.
Good ideas come from anywhere: Ideas, good and bad, come from every level of the organization. Employees at all levels are empowered to share their ideas and feedback. The whole of Perry is greater than the sum of its parts. All ideas are considered, and when a decision is made we will move forward together.
Perry Health is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all team members. We are building an environment where every Perry Health team member can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do the best work of their careers. We value diversity and recruit, hire, and promote individuals solely based on talent, qualifications, competence, and merit. We evaluate candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other protected characteristics as required by law and as a matter of our company values.