Director of Engineering
Stash is simplifying the financial world so that anyone can become an investor. We are a rapidly growing engineering team in need of a great technical leader and people manager to join the senior leadership team. Our ideal candidate will add a technical, mentoring, and mission-driven presence to the teams and help lead all of our software engineering efforts.
Stash is looking for a Director of Engineering with a passion for building reliable, scalable, and performant software. Our ideal candidate will help raise the bar for our entire engineering organization in terms of tech prowess, passion for collaboration and desire to mentor and educate fellow team members. In this role, you will support and mentor engineering managers in their career development and work with our VP of Engineering on building processes around recruiting, onboarding, and ongoing employee development.
What you’ll do:
- Work on defining high-level engineering initiatives
- Guide infrastructure development and architecture discussions
- Provide engineering expertise in the areas of API design, testing, code quality
- Help build, develop and manage the engineering team
- Work with the People Team to develop the recruitment and hiring plan
- Quickly react to resolve challenges and bottlenecks
- Facilitate communication and collaboration between the engineering team and the rest of the organization Help develop a great engineering culture and define best practices
- Work with teams and stakeholders to ensure requirements and deadlines are clear
- Mentor and sponsor engineers and oversee programs for engineering growth
What we're looking for:
- 8+ years of professional experience building consumer-facing software with 3+ years of managing and scaling teams.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or relevant industry experience
- Experience building backend RESTful APIs
- Creative problem solver with a passion for testing, debugging, and overall code quality
- Data-driven decision maker, willing to take risks, fail fast, and iterate quickly
- A keen understanding of testing best practices (TDD is a plus!)
- Experience building an application at scale
- Experience in managing large engineering teams
- Experience transitioning monolithic systems to microservice-based systems
- Familiarity with or interest in our stack Ruby on Rails, Scala, Sidekiq, Heroku, Postgres, Redis, AWS S3/Elastic Beanstalk
We believe that diversity and inclusion are essential to living our values, promoting innovation, and building the best products out there. Our success is directly related to the employees that we hire, grow and retain and we believe that our team should reflect the diversity of the customers that we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Stash is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by law. Everyone is encouraged to apply.
Benefits, Perks, & More!:
* Equity In Stash * Flexible Vacation
* Four Family-Friendly Medical Plans * Two Dental & One Vision Insurance Plan
* 401k * Learning & Development Stipend
* Commuter Benefits * Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
* Employee Referral Bonuses * Stocked Fridges & Kitchens
* Thursday Happy Hours * Catered Lunch on Fridays
* Team outings that do not involve trust falls...
Awards & Recognition:
- Built in NYC’s Startups to Watch in 2018
- Wall Street Journal's "Top 25 Tech Companies To Watch" in 2018
- MarCom Awards 2018 Double Gold & Platinum Winner
- 2017 Webby Award Winner for Best Mobile Sites & Apps in the Financial Services and Banking category
- 2017 W3 Awards Winner for Best User Experience
**No recruiters, please.