Healthcare is too hard. At Zocdoc, we strive every day to make it easier for patients to get the care they need. Founded with a mission to give power to the patient, Zocdoc enables the seamless healthcare experience patients expect and deserve. Every day, we hear from patients who tell us about the very real difference we’ve made in their lives. You can hear some of their stories here.
The safety and health of our employees is our top priority. As such we will not require our teams to return to the offices until Labor Day 2021. Click here to read more about this decision from Zocdoc's founder and CEO, Oliver Kharraz.
Your impact on our Mission
As our Director of Engineering you’ll work closely with our Product team to build a better health care experience. Your leadership of our software teams will result in us shipping quickly with the right amount of investment in infrastructure, bettering our product and improving the lives of millions of patients. Your dedication to building a culture of transparency, inclusion, and support will help ensure that our engineering is always evolving and growing. Your ability to combine technical capabilities, digging into details to unblock teams and steer through complex engineering tradeoffs, with business knowledge and context is crucial for the success of Zocdoc.
You'll enjoy this role if you are…
- Passionate about software engineering and product development
- A business and product-first technologist
- A leader who enjoys inspiring, supporting and influencing their teams to do their best work
- Excited about building diverse and inclusive teams
- A data-driven thinker who makes decisions based on facts
- Motivated by working with the latest technologies
Your day to day is…
- Leading, managing, and growing software engineering teams at Zocdoc building full-stack software for delivering engaging health care experiences
- Working closely with Product Management and Engineering Managers who report to you to make great decisions on roadmap, technology choices, and engineering process
- Helping guide and support your team’s technology strategy: how much tech debt to incur, when to invest in a platform, when to use a third party, etc.
- Reporting to the CTO and will be involved in developing product roadmaps, org structure, and technology direction
- Working across the organization on Engineering Culture, helping to build career ladders, steer cross-team events, and help build an inclusive technology workforce
- With a strong hand in architecture, you’ll make sure we are building out the platform’s capabilities with attention to scale and speed
You'll be successful in this role if you have…
- Extensive (8+ Years) experience in Software Engineering, including both at individual contributor and Engineering Leadership levels
- A background in programming on the web and/or mobile development, and a natural curiosity about learning new technologies
- Experience in building distributed, high scale systems that handle millions of visitors
- Hands on experience in the cloud, preferably in AWS
- Curiosity and business acumen, and an ability to learn and take on new opportunities
- A deep understanding and point of view on Engineering Process, including which parts of Agile to use and when, and whether DevOps is a team or focus area within Engineering
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Zocdoc is the country’s leading digital health marketplace that helps patients easily find and book the care they need. Each month, millions of patients use our free service to find nearby, in-network providers, compare choices based on verified patient reviews, and instantly book in-person or video visits online. Providers participate in Zocdoc’s Marketplace to reach new patients to grow their practice, fill their last-minute openings, and deliver a better healthcare experience. Founded in 2007 with a mission to give power to the patient, our work each day in pursuit of that mission is guided by our six core values. Zocdoc is a private company backed by some of the world’s leading investors, and we believe we’re still only scratching the surface of what we plan to accomplish.
Zocdoc is a mission-driven organization dedicated to building teams as diverse as the patients and providers we aim to serve. In the spirit of one of our core values - Together, Not Alone, we are a company that prides itself on being highly collaborative, and we believe that diverse perspectives, experiences and contributors make our community and our platform better. We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Applicants are considered for employment regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by applicable laws.