Director of Frontend Engineering at theSkimm
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to more than 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials. Join us!ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
The Tech team at theSkimm is a group of experienced, resourceful programmers who build tools throughout the tech stack, often connecting components together in innovative ways to maximize scalability and maintainability. At theSkimm, engineers work in lockstep with product managers, designers, analysts, and key business stakeholders to devise project plans that prioritize improving our audience’s experience while balancing frequent iterations and thoughtful source code changes. Our mission is to enable our partners across the company, from Editorial and Audio to Marketing and Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems and processes we can offer. We build, share knowledge across departments, and learn quickly so we can take best advantage of what’s coming.
As we grow, we’re looking for an experienced mentor and team leader to manage a group of developers responsible for our web tools - both externally-facing sites and internally-facing systems. Reporting to our Chief Technology Officer, you'll be responsible for working alongside product, design and other teams to help define new components and refine existing ones as we advance on an aggressive product roadmap.WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- An empathetic leadership style that encourages open communication and trust
- Experience managing the careers of one or more developers on your team
- 3-5+ years of industry experience building fast, reliable, scalable web-based applications
- Experience with modern web technologies, e.g. ES6, Babel, AngularJS, React, Redux
- Eagerness and ability to learn new technologies / libraries / approaches quickly
- A commitment to building the best user experience through innovation and attention to detail
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Facility in presenting and discussing the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Knowledge of and experience with isomorphic React principles
- Familiarity using developer tools that increase productivity and facilitate the development of resilient code (eg. Docker, Travis, Jenkins)
- A history of leading and guiding high-performing technical teams
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience and mission
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Equity for all employees
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- 'MassMutual' 401(k) program
- Free 'One Medical' Membership
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through 'Carrot Fertility'
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine, and a pretty sweet roof deck
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY