Director of Mobile Engineering
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm’s Engineering team builds systems, integrations, interfaces and applications that help our audience of millennial women better navigate their world. We partner closely with product, editorial, and marketing teams to build innovative products, and are expanding our purview from news and information into tools and features that help our audience manage aspects of their lives.
We’re looking for a capable, thoughtful leader for our Mobile team to help us grow into new product areas, expand our team, improve on delivery quality, and innovate our products to continue meeting our audience in their everyday routines. This role is a mix of technical proficiency in iOS / Swift delivery and people management and mentorship, and both components will be required of prospective candidates.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Building and designing mobile applications that cover news, audio, video, and personal utilities
- Integrating with Apple utilities like Calendar, Wallet, and Siri
- Managing career development and mentoring technical growth for iOS developers
- Working with Product Development to shape the future of our mobile offerings
- Evangelizing theSkimm’s tech capabilities to relevant developer communities
- Recruiting quality talent as your team grows
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- History of recruiting and mentoring a team of engineers from a variety of backgrounds, skill levels, and experiences
- Experience leading and mentoring a team of developers with varied skills
- Clear, concise, and honest communication style when working with teams outside of Engineering
- Deep understanding of the frameworks, standards and libraries required to build a robust iOS application
- Understanding of measurement techniques that can help show how an app is being used and how it can be optimized
- A stable of former colleagues you’ve supported and who loved working with you
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Experience collaborating with API Developers, particularly as relates to building API specs and contracts
- Experience selecting and managing third-party development support partners
- A history of working with media and information applications, and the considerations they bring (accessibility, formatting of text, ad measurement considerations, etc)
- Familiarity with Apple News Format styling and interaction design
- Experience working with secure APIs, especially those that encrypt requests and responses
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience and mission
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.