Engineer: Observability Platforms at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
We are looking for an engineer to help teams dive into how our sea of services operates in production. Reporting to the Engineering Manager of Observability Platforms, the Observability Engineers -- a small, cohesive team focused on creating visibility into our infrastructure -- provide actionable intelligence about the operating conditions and use of our cloud to the rest of the organization. They exist to build a feedback loop in order to empirically measure the results of our actions, and then lower the latency of that feedback loop while extending the time horizon we can reason about further into the future.What You'll Be Doing:
- Designing, writing and running the systems that provide visibility into how our cloud is operating and performing to teams throughout the company
- Providing guidance to other engineers on how they can best utilize our systems to gain confidence that their services are performing as expected
- Collaborating with other teams on how we can improve our systems to provide the visibility they need into theirs
- Working with interesting technologies such as Prometheus, Grafana, Go, Docker, Kafka and more
- Have opportunities to contribute back to the open source software that we rely on
- A desire to learn about and participate in building high scale observability systems.
- A desire to learn and become an expert with Observability and Monitoring tools such as Prometheus, Alertmanager, Grafana, and more, while writing custom tooling and integrations between these systems and the rest of DigitalOcean.
- Comfortableness in at least one of the following languages: Go, C/C++, Java, Python, Ruby, and/or Perl
- An ability to work well as part of a distributed team.
- A customer focused mindset.
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Infrastructure team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!