Engineering Manager, Product Software (API External) at Peloton
We are looking for a passionate API Engineering Manager who is enthusiastic about and has experience in leading a team of engineers building scalable, secure APIs that integrate with internal and external partners. At Peloton, you will have the opportunity to rapidly change the face of the fitness industry. You will be working in a high velocity software engineering environment, building out a new team within our Digital products, to provide fitness content to all Peloton consumers. You will be responsible for building out a new team, leading large scale projects, working with cross functional teams and external vendors/partners to define and deliver on an aggressive Digital roadmap. Ultimately, you will be leading a team that will not only enhance the Peloton Digital experience, but also bring it to millions of more members.
Power the Peloton Experience
As a member of Peloton’s Product Engineering API team you’ll be building out technology solutions that enable a world class user experience across the Peloton platform for a global audience. We enable our members to take live and on-demand classes across any number of fitness disciples, send each other high-fives, compete on the leaderboard, take part in challenges, discover new music, and much more. You will be leading and building out a team of talented engineers in ensuring our members get the best possible experience.Responsibilities
Design and Development
- Assume technical leadership for APIs that integrate internally with our digital products (web, iOS, Android Mobile, TV’s and more) and external partners’ systems, lookout for opportunities for platform improvement, and work with engineers to scale our production systems.
- Identify and lead technical initiatives to build clean, robust, and performant systems.
- Contribute to the design of software architecture and development of new features and functionalities in the stack.
- Support-what-you-build, including monitoring, performance tuning, and responding to incidents.
- Staff and lead a team of engineers responsible for our Digital products and roadmap
- Lead, coach, and mentor API developers.
- Mentor software engineers from diverse backgrounds to nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, and engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns and industry best practices.
- Instill a culture of automation, re-use and engineering efficiency.
Drive large-scale projects
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Product, Design, Program Management in order to define and deliver against quarterly and annual roadmap objectives.
- Collaborate closely with external partners to understand their APIs, requirements for integration and lead fast paced projects and stay on top of API and platform updates of external partner products.
- Handle planning and breaking down large projects into milestones and identifying risks and dependencies.
- 8+ years of software development experience, with experience building complex backend systems
- 3+ years of leadership experience in team leadership and technology management
- Passion for building a scalable backend architecture that supports a rapid growing user base
- Well proven understanding of system design, API design and database design
- Ability to evaluate and communicate different engineering solutions and trade-offs
- Experience working with Agile methodology and delivery of quality software as part of an Agile team
- Ability to identify strengths and weaknesses of individuals in order to maximize team effectiveness; provide guidance to individuals when needed for coaching or mentoring
- Ability to mediate between competing technical priorities; align priorities and goals through collaboration with technical leads and product managers
- Effectively communicate between teams and within teams in order to drive alignment and increase effectiveness on delivery
BONUS POINTS IF YOU:
- Experience with transitioning from a monolith to a SOA
- Experience with Python and Kotlin development
- Roll up your sleeves and take on development work
Please note: This is a full-time position that will be remote initially (due to COVID-19) and based in our New York City HQ once safe to re-open the office.
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy and benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience and comfort of home. We use technology and design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, and Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, and we know that together, we go far.
“Together We Go Far” means that we are greater than the sum of our parts, stronger collectively when each one of us is at our best. In order to be the best version of Peloton, we are deeply committed to building a diverse workforce and inclusive culture where all of our team members can be the best version of themselves. This work has no endpoint; it is the constant work of running an organization that strives to reach its full potential. As a first step in our commitment, we announced the Peloton Pledge to invest $100 million over the next four years to fight racial injustice and inequity in our world, and to promote health and wellbeing for all, from the inside out.