Block is a renovation platform transforming the $400 billion renovation industry. Today, doing a home renovation is an abysmal consumer experience and not easy for contractors either. Block democratizes access to high-end design, while combining design, construction, and materials into a streamlined experience. Block simplifies a complex and convoluted process and gives homeowners certainty on outcomes, quality, price, and time.
Our mission is to give homeowners a better way to improve the spaces they live in, and to give contractors a better way to work. We are building an ambitious, tenacious, and creative team who is unafraid of tackling new challenges. The founders are former leaders at Casper, HuffPost, and Rent the Runway. Investors include New Enterprise Associates, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, Obvious Ventures, and more.
We are building an ambitious technical organization and looking for our first engineering manager to help lead the effort. We’ve been a remote-friendly and distributed team since day 1, with individuals living in 7 metropolitan areas in two countries (and 3 time-zones).
You will work within our tech team (engineering, product management, product design) in a high-velocity environment to develop our home renovation platform. You will architect, collaborate on, and contribute to software that facilitates end-to-end renovations in a historically analog industry. This will require forward-thinking and elegant solutions for complex processes. This is a player-coach role, where you’ll be expected to contribute to non-critical-path coding work, technical leadership and people management.
As an early contributor, you will help drive key decisions about the technologies, tools, and best practices we adopt into our engineering culture. You’ll deliver the best experience possible for our clients while ensuring high standards of code quality and system reliability. Your work will make a tangible impact on the lives of design and construction professionals along with people and their homes.
- Lead and develop a high performance and diverse team of engineers and technologists
- Help set and uphold high standards for code quality, test coverage, and platform stability without sacrificing delivery and iteration speed
- Collaborate with engineering, product, design, and business counterparts to architect and build innovative, user-friendly web and mobile applications for the renovation process
- Continually improve the engineering team as a whole through thoughtful code review and design doc feedback, as well as career planning and personal goal setting
- Iterate on internal processes to help the team achieve more with less, and maintain a high delivery velocity
- 5+ years hands on experience as a senior engineer, tech lead, and manager
- A desire to build an inclusive, diverse, and high performing team. Even better if you’ve done that many times already.
- Experience leading a team distributed over multiple time-zones preferred
- You’ve built large and complex projects at scale, and maintained them over many release cycles
- Highly ambitious and goal-oriented
- Able to build for long term, but also able to find efficient short-term solutions
- Earn equity in an early stage high-growth company
- 100% subsidized health insurance, dental coverage, vision coverage
- 12 weeks universal fully paid family leave
- Flexible paid vacation days and company holidays
- 401k retirement savings plan
- Employee assistance program
- Dedicated learning and development budget and online access to training courses
- Employee discount on renovation services
- Working alongside an ambitious, kind, no-drama team
- Force simplicity.
- Problems are our fuel.
- Be tenacious and calm.
- Save money and time where we should.
- Speed is our advantage.
- Stay humble -- in failure and success.