Greater NYC Area
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm's mission is to make it easier to live a smarter life. We’re building news and information products that fit into your everyday routines, and we take a user-centric, collaborative approach while doing so. We’re best known for the Daily Skimm, an email newsletter reaching 7-Million active subscribers daily. We launched theSkimm app on iOS last year, which integrates seamlessly with your smartphone calendar to give you all the big things happening in politics, business, tech, and entertainment before and it's happening. We also launched theSkimm Studios, our in-house audio and video production team.
theSkimm's Tech team is a group of experienced, resourceful programmers who are comfortable building tools throughout the stack. Our mission as an engineering team is to build the connections between theSkimm's editorial team and its growing audience, wherever they are. As an Engineering Manager at the Skimm, you'll lead projects that build the next generation of products at theSkimm and have influence over the evolution of our tech stack in the long-term. Reporting to our Head of Engineering, you'll manage and guide a team of developers through projects of a diverse scope and interact with peers across the company.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Coaching programmers contributing to Node, React, and Rails applications
- Collaborating with a peer group of supervisors and directly with the executive team
- Exploring emerging technologies that will allow us to port our apps to other platforms (eg. mobile apps, email, voice assistants)
- Designing integrations between theSkimm's content and its distribution platforms, often via RESTful APIs
- Offering suggestions to improve the Tech team's development workflow in the cloud (AWS)
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 2+ years professional experience in a people management role
- Familiarity using developer tools that increase productivity and facilitate the development of resilient code (eg. Docker, Travis)
- Smarts, humility, and comfort being resourceful in a fast-paced environment
- Strong critical thinking and communication skills
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Familiarity building systems that leverage AWS database, compute, and networking services
- Experience shipping and maintaining production deployments of React/Redux applications
- Experience and comfort working on small teams responsible for large portions of a big business
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience and mission
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Equity for all employees
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- 'MassMutual' 401(k) program
- Free 'One Medical' Membership
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through 'Carrot Fertility'
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine, and a pretty sweet roof deck
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY
Read Full Job Description