Engineering Manager at Imagen Technologies
Imagen is extending the frontiers of medicine and artificial intelligence (AI) to improve human well-being. In the short term, we are building state-of-the-art AI software to reduce diagnostic errors in radiology and improve patient outcomes. Over the long term, we are transforming early disease identification and management through our interdisciplinary research at the intersection of medicine and AI.
We’re a team of leading scientists, engineers, clinicians, and industry professionals from some of the top healthcare and technology organizations across the globe. Our clinical team is comprised of radiologists and surgeons from Mayo Clinic, Stanford Hospital, Hospital for Special Surgery, Boston Children’s Hospital, and other prestigious institutions. Imagen’s technical team is comprised of machine learning PhDs and engineers with extensive experience doing research and building technology and products at leading companies, including Google and Facebook.
We were founded in 2016 and have raised over $60M from leading venture capitalists, hospitals and health systems, and technology entrepreneurs. Our institutional investors include Google Ventures and DFJ.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead a team of software engineers in one of our core full-stack product areas, working towards enabling super-human diagnostic accuracy. As our products are safety-critical and require rigorous software engineering practices, our ideal candidate is highly technical and engages technically with the team's work, yet spends a significant portion of time mentoring, coaching, and helping the team reach their goals.
This role is a great fit for candidates with several years of hands-on software engineering experience and a career progression toward managing people—even at a small scale. Our ideal candidate is enthusiastic about building software to shape the practice of medicine, as well as building the people and teams necessary to get there.
- Lead or provide oversight to technical planning and execution for one or more areas of our products and systems
- Partner with product managers, research scientists, and our medical team to understand needs and ensure they are accounted for in technical decisions
- Champion software development practices that ensure patient safety
- Manage a software engineering team, responsible for recruiting as a hiring manager, onboarding, performance management, coaching, and mentorship
- Lead team learning and improvement exercises such as retrospectives and post-mortems
- Hands-on technical contribution, focused on driving technical direction and reviews, including reviewing and writing code, involvement in quality practices, triaging issues
- Mission-driven and passionate about improving healthcare outcomes
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, navigating and communicating short- and long-term trade-offs
- Good judgement and bias toward backing opinions with data
- 5+ years professional software development experience with exposure to best practices, ideally across various teams and environments
- Demonstrate fluency in a modern programming language and systems concepts
- Management of three or more direct reports
This role is based in New York, NY.