At Great Jones, we're out to build the leading full-service operating platform for lower-scale residential rental real estate: tens of millions of single-family homes and apartment buildings without on-site management, collectively worth trillions of dollars but underpenetrated by technology to date.
By combining technology and design with best-in-class operations & growth leadership, we will unlock the asset class from previous constraints posted by operational headaches.
Technology penetration is low here vs. other asset classes, which just means we have lots of greenfield technology to build!
The Engineering Manager will report to Todd O’Brien (CTO) and lead various software development activities. Great Jones, in being a tech enabled full-service property management company, takes on a myriad of technical challenges that would keep any engineer interested, including:
- Customer facing portal for owners of the properties
- Customer facing portal for tenants residing in the properties
- Systemized workflows for each of the owner/tenant/vendor use cases which spans everything from leaky faucets to electronic lock box installations
- New customer lead generation utilizing clever ways to comb through publically available owner data to identify and rank potential rental owners
- Many many more!
In this position you will first come in, roll up your sleeves, and begin working with the teams to help us build out the foundation to the software solutions for all of the aforementioned problems. Second, in short order, you will hire a small team to join you in incrementally building out this suite of systems. You should expect to spend at least 50% of your time doing hands-on coding.
We have already become the fastest-growing consumer-focused property manager in our operating regions. Now, it is time to build the technology necessary to multiply our footprint while getting deeper and deeper in each market and building a memorable experience and brand among our owners and residents along the way.
Your team’s work -- delivering software that delights our customers and their tenants, automates and instruments a traditionally low-tech industry, and enables controlled and elegant scaling of the business -- will be an absolutely crucial part of that journey.
- Develop new and existing fullstack software systems to the highest technical, quality, and accountability standards, all while considering secondary concerns like security, performance, maintainability, adaptability, and simplicity
- Lead one of four engineering teams
- Propose new technologies that will advance and evolve our organization
- Partner with key stakeholders to define a technical roadmap, propose improvements, and architect solutions that support our business needs
- Work closely within a cross-functional team of designers, product managers, and analysts to develop high-quality technical solutions to customer and business problems
- Engage in code reviews and help to define and maintain high standards of code quality
- Collaborate with other Technology team members and leaders to refine best practices and processes
- Use and promote successful software management and technical workflow practices that shorten feedback loops between the Tech team and others
- Equipped with 5+ years of professional programming experience, ideally including building for scale from an early-stage
- Proficient in at least one programming language (Python, Go, Node.js, Ruby, or something similar)
- Backed by a strong understanding of software engineering principles and fundamentals, like data structures and algorithms
- Familiarity across the stack but have a real energy around back-end architecture and handling complexity
- Successful in an agile work environment, breaking down large pieces of work to deliver value incrementally
- Experience with AWS
- Knowledgeable about modern relational databases, such as PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MySQL
- An entrepreneurial producer who loves to build innovative solutions in clever ways
- A quick learner with a can-do attitude
- A friendly and open-minded communicator
- Eager to be involved in all stages of the product development lifecycle, from concept through deployment
About Great Jones:
Great Jones brings ease and performance to rental ownership and living, starting by reinventing property management for the several trillion (!) dollars in rental homes owned by small-scale investors.
We’re replacing an experience that has historically been heavily operational, low-tech, and stressful with one delivered through modern software, thoughtful experience design, real benefits of scale, and the right blend of local & centralized operations.
By providing a seamless, full-service experience for owners and residents, we aim to make ownership worry-free and more profitable for the 25 million Americans who own rental homes. In doing so, we become the operating system around our owners’ most valuable investments, as well as our residents’ homes.
And we’re doing this within an enormous addressable market, with highly attractive unit economics, where competition is deeply fragmented and notorious for subpar service.
We are growing rapidly with nationwide expansion on deck -- headquartered in Manhattan with on-the-ground operations in 20 markets across 9 states.
Our leadership team has built digital platforms and operational machines that have powered hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of transactions for marketplace businesses like 1stdibs, Skillshare, and Warby Parker.
We’ve raised over $30 million (including our recently closed Series B) from top investors including Crosslink Capital, Navitas Capital, Zigg Capital, Juxtapose, and top NYC angels & real estate entrepreneurs including Kevin Ryan, David Rosenblatt, and Jason Finger, who have founded or led companies such as Seamless, Gilt Groupe, MongoDB, DoubleClick, 1stdibs, Floored, and others.