Front End Software Engineer - Members at Bread
Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the way the world shops online. We build tools, technologies and APIs that allow e-commerce merchants to integrate installment loan financing and other alternative payment products anywhere in their customers’ shopping journey. Bread has enormous and engaging technical challenges. We need to verify online identity, predict fraud, and approve and price credit while providing a beautiful and frictionless consumer experience, all in realtime. Our Engineering team plays a critical role in allowing us to grow our business and the success of our brand partners.
The Member team is responsible for building the full life cycle loan servicing platform and UI which are integral to the success of the business. The team works on multiple distributed services written in Go for functionality such as the high volume loan processes, ledger, payment processing, and more. The team also owns the consumer and servicing applications and experiences, developed in React. We are looking for software engineers to join our team working on scaling and distributed systems challenges as we continue to grow and enhance our platform.
Your role at Bread:
- Translate company and consumer needs into functional and compelling consumer experiences
- Structure frontend code in a visually consistent manner that encourages the building of more accessible and user friendly interfaces
- Work closely with engineers, designers, and product managers. Define, test, and execute new user-facing features using React and Material-UI.
- Be involved in design and implementation of new features and iterations of our core platform
- Build reusable libraries and tools to help the team move faster and write more reliable code.
- Contribute to tools used by the entire frontend organisation. Introduce new approaches that we didn't know we needed.
- Enable Bread to process billions of dollars of financial instruments per year
What we are looking for:
- Understanding of one or more modern web technologies - React (Preferred), Ember, Vue
- Experience writing clean, accessible, performant, and beautiful HTML and CSS
- Experience with RESTful APIs
- A passion for engineering and technology
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with Node.js
- Knowledge of server-side languages and data stores (our backends are built with Go and PostgreSQL)
- Experience with message-based, loosely coupled architectures (we use gRPC and Kafka)
- Experience developing systems intended for cloud deployments (AWS, EKS, lambda’s, etc)
- Knowledge of financial products
Engineers at Bread also get the opportunity to participate in “20%” time through Working Groups! Working Groups are quarterly teams of 4 to 6 engineers who set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their core engineering team. Working Groups have included ones for Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, and Monitoring. Groups meet every Friday to plan and own their roadmap and implement their features. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups and over time potentially lead a group for that quarter. It's another opportunity as an engineer at Bread to have impact across the entire organization!