ABOUT THE TEAM
theSkimm makes it easier to be smarter. We started as two friends on a couch and have since purchased more couches and gotten new friends, er... employees. Skimm HQ works hard but knows when to take breaks and when it's time to update the Spotify playlist. We drink the kool-aid but know we're drinking it. Through our suite of products, we are disrupting routines and information consumption one Skimm'r at a time. Come join us, we're changing things.
The tech team at theSkimm is a group of experienced, resourceful programmers who build tools throughout the tech stack, often connecting components together in innovative ways to maximize scalability and maintainability. At theSkimm, engineers work in lockstep with product managers, growth analysts, and designers to devise project plans that prioritize improving our audience’s experience while balancing frequent iterations and thoughtful source code changes.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
theSkimm is seeking an iOS engineer with 4-6 years experience to join a collaborative team and build future iterations of theSkimm app, one of the highest grossing apps in the News Category of the App Store. In this role you will:
- Work as a part of the iOS team to build, test, and ship regular releases of theSkimm app to the App Store. You'll define new components and refine existing ones as theSkimm advances on an aggressive product roadmap
- Lay a strong foundation for future development by writing Swift code every day
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Experience working with Swift
- Experience working with an existing Objective-C codebase and a sense of pragmatism when it comes to rewriting legacy code in Swift.
- Proficiency with Apple frameworks and tools. Preference for working with technologies such as Core Data, NSURLSession, and Storyboards over third party solutions.
- Experience as a key member of a team that has shipped at least one app to the App Store.
- Experience building custom user interfaces using technologies such as Core Animation, Gesture Recognizers, or UIKit Dynamics
- Along with smarts and humility, be a team player - serve as a collaborator with Skimm HQ'ers in editorial, design, analytics, and customer service
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: passion for our audience and mission
- Desire to bring theSkimm app up to speed with the latest and greatest in iOS
- Experience writing Unit Tests with XCTest and Xcode Bots
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- 'MassMutual' 401(k) program
- Free 'One Medical' Membership
- Free 'Headspace' (meditation & mindfulness app) Membership
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through 'Carrot Fertility'
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY