Manager, Developer Experience at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about driving an exceptional experience for our customers, operational efficiency, and team member development.
As a Developer Experience Manager you’ll have the responsibility for leading Support Specialists who are engaged with our customers on topics ranging from account to billing issues and lifecycle management from onboarding to scaling. You will also be able to hire, motivate, develop, and retain quality Support Specialists who are capable of continuing and improving DO’s success that is founded on authenticity, love, transparency, efficiency, accountability, collaboration, empowerment, and fun!
Our Developer Experience team provides support through multiple channels, primarily through email, social and chat. You will bring experiences to the role that helps us to optimize our current channels, launch new ways to interact with customers and maintain a strong public support presence. Very specifically, we will look for you to specialize in building procedures and policies for how DigitalOcean does support publicly that give our Support Engineers confidence to respond and represent the brand positively. You will also work cross-functionally to build the necessary processes so that every ticket has public content for ticket deflection. Lastly, you’ll create the mechanism and policies so that we can answer all Community Q&A to drive additional customer acquisition.
We believe in building a highly collaborative team that thrives on resolving complex issues. DO is an organization that prides itself on execution. If we see an opportunity, we go after it. If there are obstacles, we work diligently to remove them. We own our problems and work together as a team to resolve issues in a timely fashion. Everyone has something to contribute and we can always learn something new. From the first day, you can expect to be included in multiple opportunities to share your experience and knowledge of both technology and customer engagement.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Develop team members through coaching, feedback. Empower them to perform their best to improve our developer’s experience
- Sets long-term goals and metrics so they align to the anticipated outcomes (contribution to playbooks + quality + quantity vs quantity)
- Takes personal responsibility for results and the team’s performance
- Build procedures and policies for how DigitalOcean does support publicly that give our Support Specialists confidence to respond and represent the brand positively on public forums
- Aligns and works with stakeholders across Security, Product, and Engineering for items to do with our work in Risk and Fraud
- Rollout of alternative channels like chat for Developer Experience team
- Creates cross-functional alignment within the company (Brand, PR, Devrel, etc.) to establish shared best practices
- Define the scope of public support channels and where/how we do/don’t respond
- Build the necessary processes so that every ticket has public content to deflect questions
- Create the mechanism and policies so that we can answer all Community Q&A
- Identify and prioritize issues, enhancements, and ability to feed it back to Product Team
- Define, track, improve, and report on metrics for effective customer support operations
- Self-driven and very high sense of ownership
- Ability to motivate team members to reach their potential
- Attention to detail in relation to what happens during the day
- Experience working in a Public Support/Social Engagement Role
- Experience working with and improving Risk and Fraud Support Delivery
- Ability to manage additional Support channels ( Eg. Chat)
- Ability to find the answer, even if you don’t know it (JIRA, escalation, outreach to other teams, etc.)
- Ability to accomplish the tasks that are asked of ICs on the shift
- Effective delegation of tasks, roles, and project work
- Excellent escalation management skills
- Deep understanding of customers requirements
- Ability to convert planning into execution
- A reputation for holding team members to a high-performance standard
- Solid analytical skills & the ability to work with metrics, numbers, & trends
- Build relationships with a wide range of stakeholders at all levels
- Transition easily between hands-on & tactical to complex & strategic work
- Ability to manage a discussion with multiple voices into a productive outcome without anyone feeling marginalized
- Problem-solving skills that can unite people in a genuine and authentic way to work together to drive to successful solutions
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge, Palo Alto and Bangalore, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Customer Support
Want to learn more about our Customer Support team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!