We are a small, but mighty team, working at the crossroads of technology and entertainment to bring content from iconic television brands to our audiences over the Internet in the most entertaining ways we can imagine and build. As television changes, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
Discovery Digital Media is looking for a Software Engineering Manager to lead our Data Services engineering team implementing applications and tools within our robust data pipeline. These services consume a massive amount of event data making it easy for us to build data-driven products and features. You will be responsible for upholding a high bar in operational excellence and quality. You will partner across functions to help define the vision, requirements and cross-team integration for your team. Collaborating with a multidisciplinary group which includes product managers, delivery managers, QA engineers and business stakeholders, you will help define and drive features from concept all the way through to production.
A successful candidate will have an established background in developing real time scalable systems, a strong technical ability, great communication skills and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment.
Our technology stack includes Golang, MariaDB, MongoDB, AWS (SQS, S3, Lambda, DynamoDB, etc.), Docker, Github, Grafana, InfluxDB, PHP and Memcache/Redis. We love working with modern tools and sharing our experiences with the community.
1. Hire, mentor, manage and retain a team of highly-skilled software engineers
2. Foster career growth and a strong team culture
3. Work closely with our Product Managers and Delivery Managers to develop and execute a software roadmap for future features and improvements
4. Own all operational metrics and support for your team’s software
5. Leverage your technical expertise to coach and guide your team and to constantly raise the bar for them
* BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical experience
* At least 10+ years of software development experience in at least two modern programming language such as Golang, PHP, Python, etc.
* Experience developing & executing a software roadmap
* Experience managing services-oriented software systems
* Experience building and leading highly-skilled software engineering teams
* Expertise in software engineering best practices (e.g., unit testing, design patterns, building maintainable code, performance)
* Experience designing and implementing APIs
* Excellent communication skills in both verbal and written English
* Able to work in teams, contribute ideas and share knowledge proactively
* Self-motivated and unafraid to dive into detailed technical issues
* Religious about clean solutions to software problems
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States