Principal Software Engineer, Edge Services at HUMAN
At HUMAN we are all about keeping it human. We are the global leader in bot mitigation. We protect more than 200 enterprises—including the largest internet platforms—from sophisticated bots by verifying the humanity of nearly one trillion online interactions every week. The most sophisticated bots look and act like humans when they click on ads, visit websites, fill out forms, take over accounts, and commit payment fraud. We stop them.
Founded in 2012 in a Brooklyn sci-fi bookstore, our Bot Mitigation Platform protects enterprises from the sophisticated bots that threaten them. It’s an ongoing war that we fight passionately every day. Join our mission to stop bots, disrupt the economics of cybercrime, and keep it human.
The Edge Services team is responsible for developing and maintaining a highly scalable, distributed architecture that collects signals and delivers insights to some of the biggest internet companies in the world. Our small and forward-thinking team of edge service backend engineers writes software that can handle sustained loads of 1 trillion requests per week, with peaks sometimes reaching 1.5 trillion per day! As a member of this team, you will enable our data scientists and security researchers to collect thousands of data points across the internet -- protecting advertisers, marketers and application developers from sophisticated cyber-criminals. This team is heavily involved in product development, supporting unique customer integrations and looking for ways to make deploying and configuring our technology as flawless as possible. The team largely uses the Go programming language, maintains some Java projects, and is experimenting with Rust and Elixir.What you will do:
- Become the go-to technical person for one of the primary Edge Services projects the team is supporting or planning to build
- Set an example of what it means to ship high impact work with velocity, reliability and quality
- Participate in and many cases drive high leverage, cross organizational initiatives to improve our ability to move fast with confidence
- Lead post mortems and guide other makers how to conduct effective root cause analyses to deeply identify the problem at hand
- Collaborate with detection researchers (data scientists, malware reversers, threat analysts) to craft and propose new ways to collect signals from the edges of the internet
- Develop, patch, review and release software: from forensic web servers and optimized DNS services to threat mitigation engines, and HTTP proxies
- Profile, debug, optimize and harden Linux-based software
- Participate in an agile development cycle, write documentation, give talks and mentor others
- Work with a team of uniquely talented engineers who love to learn, experiment, and push the limits of modern technology
- Participate in building an outstanding culture that emphasizes lean principles and optimizes for deep work, collaboration and doing the best work of your career
- You’re either already comfortable in Go codebases or open to learning the language given your depth of experience in another backend programming language, e.g. Java, C++, Rust
- You have your share of war stories about distributed architectures and common pitfalls
- You are veteran systems developer and know TCP/IP like the back of your hand
- You constantly seek for correctness and performance, in that order
- You can lead a small-to-medium sized feature all the way through from technical design to deployment in production
- You are proficient in guiding other makers how to move fast and unblock themselves by supporting them hands on in code and design reviews
- You look to find new and innovative ways to tackle sophisticated problems through thorough experimentation
- You have an open demeanor and collaborate well across team boundaries- be they the office hallway or the continental divide.
These are some additional skills that the team has developed and use regularly but are not required for new hires (other than a burning desire to learn them when needed):
- Experience automating the deployment of distributed software to cloud environments like AWS, Azure or GCP (which likely also means you know some combination of Kubernetes, Docker, and/or Terraform)
- Able to do basic Linux system administration
- Unlimited PTO
- Private medical and dental insurance for all full-time employees
- Fully paid parental leave
- Learning & Development fund
- Phenomenal coaching from senior leaders and challenging development opportunities
- Monthly internet, phone bill, and meal stipend to support working remotely during COVID-19
- Company-sponsored TalkSpace membership for you and your family
Our HQ office is located in the heart of New York City. We are growing the company deliberately with a keen eye towards maintaining values that embody diversity, lifestyle, and career growth. We are doing substantial work, and we need people to join our mighty team. We are proud of our overwhelmingly positive presence on Glassdoor and Built in NYC. We have offices located in NYC, DC, Victoria, and London.
We understand it takes a diverse team of passionate, curious, and creative people to solve the challenges involved in protecting the Internet. Our dynamic team of humans have incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity workplace.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.