Senior Backend Engineer: Discovery Team at Codecademy
We are NYC based but remote friendly!
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of about 200 distributed through North America and headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $87.5m in venture capital funding from top investors including Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Owl Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
The Discovery Team's goal is to show our users how Codecademy can help them, on their first visit. We help our learners understand what Codecademy has to offer, and guide them to find and enroll in the right learning experience within our products. We work with experimentation frameworks and heavily use the data we collect to find new ways of acquiring users and improving our user experience.
If you’re passionate about helping more people learn technical skills and finding the right way and time to introduce them to our products, this is the team for you.WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Architect and author services across our platform that enable our users to achieve their learning goals
- Collaborate with other teams to get ahead of cross-team dependencies
- Contribute to engineering team-wide process improvements and automation
- Help Improving the scalability and efficiency of our infrastructure
- Design and improve systems for gaining insights about user learning (Ruby on Rails, Go, AWS Redshift/SQL)
- Design and improve APIs to enable other product teams to surface learning data to users in novel ways (Ruby, Go)
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Experience designing APIs from the ground up; comfortable with API design patterns (REST, RPC, GraphQL)
- A passion for testing best practices; can write unit tests in your favorite language with your eyes closed
- Experience working with both SQL and NoSQL databases. We currently use a combination of PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and Amazon Redshift
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- Experience with ops and/or containerization technologies: Kubernetes, Terraform, EC2, ECS, Puppet, Ansible, Chef, etc.
- Experience working with modern front-end frameworks. We use React, Redux, and Webpack
- Particularly strong front-end experience in the React ecosystem
- Expertise in HTML & CSS, with a knack for layout, specificity, cross browser compatibility, and accessibility
- Proven empathy for our users, such as a background in education or past experience using our site