Senior Backend Engineer (Go), Incident Management at FireHydrant
As a software engineer, you’ll build the foundational services that power our product and scale to meet our customer’s needs. You’ll work with a variety of technologies as you design, build, and ship our rapidly expanding product. As an early member of our team, you’ll get to lay the groundwork for future product innovation and scaling capabilities.
We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building developer-focused products, care deeply about security and customer trust, and are comfortable learning new skills that will deliver value to our customers.About the team
Incident Management is part of our Product Engineering group responsible for building tools that allow our clients to respond, remediate, and resolve major incidents with consistency throughout the incident lifecycle. We develop integrations with communication tools like Slack and MS Teams and manage Kubernetes clusters for our internal Status Page tool enabling customers to manage their incidents more effectively and openly. We are a cross-functional team with expertise across multiple domains, from databases to front ends to telephony and everything in between.
We are a team with high levels of psychological safety that gets things done, we understand our software at a deep level and are always pushing to learn more. We are a supportive team that swarms when problems arise and give great feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about many things: continuous improvement, working at a brisk but sustainable pace, writing resilient code, maintaining production reliability, paying down technical debt, hiring fantastic teammates; and we love to share these passions with each other.The work you'll do
- Scalable resilient systems that support product and feature development
- Integration with third-party tools like chat, alerting, project management, source control, and CI/CD
- Building a high-volume event intake platform where missing a beat means missing critical customer data
- Responding to production issues through an on-call rotation, our systems need to be working when our customers’ systems aren’t
- Experience or interest in building distributed, resilient systems that scale
- Knows Golang and/or Ruby on Rails
- Can pick the right technologies for the job, and is excited to learn the right technologies when they need to
- Takes ownership of a project from concept to production
- Enjoys working with, teaching, and learning from a diverse group of people
- Knows why good is better than good enough, but also knows why perfect is the enemy of good
FireHydrant is building the only reliability focused platform. The FireHydrant platform includes Incident Response, Status Pages, and more, so you can take control of your complex system, reduce downtime, and work better together. We’re a Series B company with around 80 employees who sit across the United States and we’re growing. Check out our blog to learn more about us.Example Projects
- Build a reliable and flexible pipeline to ingest alerts from a variety of providers, transform them into our data structures and present the most actionable data to customers
- Develop integrations with communication tools like Slack and learn to manage Kubernetes clusters for our internal Status Page tool enabling customers to manage their incidents more effectively and openly.
- Create valuable reporting systems used by customer leadership teams in staying informed on the reliability of their teams' services
- Become familiar with our product, our customers, and how our teams work to improve them
- Meet with the founders, leaders across FireHydrant and peers across engineering to understand how we work
- Get up to speed by taking impactful pieces of work alongside more tenured engineers beginning the first week
- Work with our customers to resolve issues they've encountered within our application by being on our Escalation Engineer rotation.
- Help Create and improve our Golang strategies and maintainability.
- Assist in breaking down stories from open-ended product and design feature requests.
- Mentor more early-career engineers across disciplines.
- Be on call to address an outage with our systems.
- Become more active within the engineering team to help improve and shape hiring and onboarding new Backend engineers.
- Be given an opportunity to move between the problem-sets to solve within Engineering by self-selecting which team to work on.
- Have established career-progressing goals with your manager and have started working toward them.
- Have completed several features.
- Have a deep understanding of your team's domain within our codebase and a rough understanding of the machinations of other areas outside of your team scope.
- Golang, Ruby, Rails, Grape (API)
- RSpec, Jest
- React, Redux, and Redux-Saga
- Docker and Docker Compose for local development
- Google Kubernetes Engine, GitOps, CircleCI
- Google PubSub, Protocol Buffers
- 100% employer-paid health, vision and dental premiums for the employee and 75% of dependents
- Unlimited vacation policy with a minimum requirement of three weeks off per-year, with sustainable working hours and healthy work/life balance
- Home office stipend: get your workspace set up in a way that works best for you
- 401k match
- We’re remote-first with employees around the US, our headquarters is in NYC (Union Square)
- 1-2x per year we will gather as a company, depending on the safety of such gathering, and have virtual events throughout the year
- We collaborate through Slack, Zoom, Figma, Notion, and Clubhouse
- Kind candor - we expect honesty delivered through kindness, first and foremost
- Transparency & equity - information is shared openly in Slack channels; we welcome ideas and contribution regardless of role or experience level
- Mutual mentorship - we believe in the power of mentorship and that everyone (of all skill levels) has something to learn, and something to teach
FireHydrant believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and we strive for transparency within our organization and the industry. We set our salaries at the 75th percentile based on compensation data from hundreds of companies at our stage and everyone in a given role is paid the same without adjusting for locality. The comp for this role is $190,000 (Senior) or $215,000 (Staff) depending on leveling.Requirements
- FireHydrant requires that all newly hired employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations provided based on medical need or religious belief.
- All employees must be able to show authorization to work in the US.