Knotch is the Content Intelligence Platform that enables communications and marketing teams to measure, understand, and optimize content ROI across their digital efforts. Some of the world's largest brands such as Accenture, Amazon, Dropbox, Ford, HPE, JPMorgan, Square, and Walmart trust us to help them own their voice online, and we allow their customers to own theirs as well. This transparency and empowerment helps these communications become truly worthwhile for both creators and audiences. For more on Knotch's products, visit our website.
We’re proud of our team
We’ve been building our products since 2013, and our team has grown in size and in spirit. We’ve been humbly recognized in the top 12% of fastest growing companies in America by Inc! Since the Covid-19 pandemic we’ve become remote-first, and we plan to stay that way. We know that a flexible environment leads to a happy team as we’ve again been named a Best Place to Work four years running by Built In NYC and a NYC company with Best Perks + Benefits in 2021! If you’d like to speak with our recruiting team about the future of Knotch, feel free to connect with us on LinkedInand learn about us further on our careers site.
Knotch Engineering Team
Knotch’s vision is to allow brands and consumers to own their voice online. Transparency through data is our ethos and something every member of our company takes seriously. Our Engineering Team loves to experiment, finds a deep joy in product iteration and achieves stability with thoughtful architecture and testing all while monitoring our performance and progress at every step.
We receive millions of web requests a day, process insights in real-time, and store terabytes worth of information in our cloud-based architecture. These well-designed architectures, simple yet effective software implementations, and iterative executions have been the keys to our success thus far.
Our Next Backend Engineer
As Knotch’s next Senior Backend Engineer, you will work alongside a team of backend engineers on various internal and external APIs. You’ll construct and maintain these APIs as part of new features and new products, developed within an agile framework and in an environment that believes in automated testing and a strong CI/CD pipeline. Your empathy and relentlessness are key traits that will help you remain resilient and connected to your team in a fast-paced environment like ours. Your work will directly impact our products and help Knotch scale as a company. You will work closely every day with your Backend API Team and report directly to our Lead Backend Engineer, Haiz Oppenheimer.
How you'll add value at Knotch
- Write elegant and expressive Elixir and Ruby for critical backend services and APIs.
- Build and ship product features to deliver outstanding value to customers.
- Coordinate with members of the Front-end, Data, and QA teams to stage and release complex technical initiatives.
- Identify opportunities to improve our application performance and optimize database queries and modeling.
- Re-architect legacy systems and collaborate with the whole API team to plan and execute initiatives to improve application quality.
- Review other engineers’ pull requests and provide constructive technical feedback, guidance, and mentoring as appropriate.
- Write strategic unit and integration tests to improve overall test coverage.
- You have 4+ years experience writing production web applications, preferably with experience in Elixir and/or Ruby.
- You are team-oriented, and you value empathetic communication and collaboration.
- You have designed APIs according to proper RESTful conventions. Experience with GraphQL is a plus.
- You have written SQL with aggregate functions and also worked with an ORM such as ActiveRecord or Sequel.
- You appreciate the merits of both object-oriented and functional programming, and approach architecture from a practical solution-oriented perspective.
- You hold strong but flexible opinions about best practices in software engineering, and believe in investing time and energy into continuous improvement.
- You have built complex web applications and leveraged patterns beyond simple models, views, and controllers.
- You ask a lot of questions and value exploring healthy creative tensions within an organization, knowing it improves outcomes. You are comfortable working in close proximity to unanswered questions.
We also appreciate but don't require
- Elixir & Phoenix
- Cloud architectures, particularly in AWS.
- Docker and containerization
- Devops and CI/CD pipelines
- Redis and Sidekiq
- Event-driven architecture
Our Tech Stack
- Elixir & Phoenix, Ruby on Rails, Postgres, Redis, Sidekiq, RSpec, Docker, CircleCI, ReactJS, Redshift, SparkETL, Airflow, and various other AWS services.
Knotch is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to provide equal opportunities in all of our processes, including our hiring and employee experience.
We pride ourselves on our three values: transparency, relentlessness, and inclusiveness.
We commit to daily work towards leading with empathy, reducing bias through periodic training, and engaging with and uplifting communities of marginalized groups.
We condemn all forms of racism and discrimination on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, pregnancy or parenthood status, veteran status, disability status or any other identifier.
We encourage all employees, clients, investors, candidates, vendors, and friends of Knotch to deliver honest feedback directly or anonymously so that we may always seek to improve as an organization that is dedicated to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
Share your thoughts with us, and you will be heard.