Senior Full Stack Software Engineer at Meetup
Getting together with real people in real life makes powerful things happen. Side hustles become careers, ideas become movements, and chance encounters become lifelong connections. Meetup brings people together to create thriving communities. Show up. Change lives.
Meetup’s mission is to help people grow and achieve their goals through human connections. We truly believe that we are stronger when we live this mission together. This influences how we approach software engineering in a very particular way:
- We embrace social coding practices. If you like pairing, mobbing, trunk-based and test-driven development, Meetup is for you.
- We think that remote is the future of development, and we want to work with you wherever you live. We’re building a remote-friendly culture that’s positive, close-knit, and helps us build on our mission of connecting people around the world.
- We’re passionate about making engineering choices that lead to faster feedback loops. We’re fond of Extreme Programming but not dogmatic.
- We build full-stack teams, and love it when people pick up new skills along the journey; we’re committed to a vision of Meetup as a place where people explore cross-disciplinary software challenges in every part of our codebase.
- We write new code almost exclusively in serverless technologies like AWS Lambda and strive to ensure that our platform serves our engineers, not the other way around.
As a full-stack software engineer, you will work as part of a tight-knit, cross-disciplinary team focused on Meetup’s core business challenges.
What you’ll be doing:
- Designing and growing the next generation of Meetup software on our backend and web user-facing experiences.
- Pursuing software craft practices like practicing social (paired/mobbed), test-driven, and trunk-based development.
- Learning from and mentoring others in a people-focused environment.
You're our ideal team member if you:
- Have experience in Agile/XP practices (TDD/Pairing/Continuous Integration) and interest in mentoring others in them.
- Have knowledge and experience in agile/evolutionary architecture and patterns for resilient distributed systems.
- Genuinely enjoy moving between platforms and programming languages in pursuit of rapid delivery of new features to production.
- Have experience building production systems that are decoupled, resilient and observable.
- Love writing quality code driven by tests, and leaving the codebase better than how you found it.
Our teams use Typescript, Java, and a bit of Scala, and predominantly deploy to AWS on Lambda and Fargate. We write our web services in Gatsby. We find that it is much easier to teach new technologies than it is to teach passion about learning and growing together. If you are excited to learn, we don’t mind if you’ve never used these technologies.
Our team is bold, supportive, and passionate about bringing people together in real life to create community for everyone. We care about moving fast, real-world change, and building diverse, dynamic teams. You in?