About the team
The Hard Products R&D Team is at the heart of product creation for all of our global brands. Our teams are composed of engineers, materials scientists, product researchers, technicians, program managers, and more. We work cross-functionally to develop insightful, innovative products that fulfill the unmet, sometimes unspoken, needs of our customers. We are the engine behind our shaving business, developing razors, handles, and accessories; plus anything made from metal or plastic, in any product category. Innovation sits primarily at the front end of this creative process, starting with concept development and taking ideas through engineering, prototyping, and demonstration, which are then transitioned into product development.
About the role
The Product Design Engineer at Harry’s contributes to all aspects of mechanical design of our Hard Products including razor cartridges and handles, accessories, and more. We’re looking for someone who works collaboratively within a cross functional team to design mechanical components and assemblies, ensuring that mechanical robustness, manufacturability, time to market, and performance and cost goals can be met. Day to day activities include design, drawings, analysis, prototype development, technical testing and demonstration, and consumer testing, all in partnership with the team. There are opportunities to interact with all levels of the company and great potential for growth.
What you will accomplish
- Bring your passion and enthusiasm for engineering and teams to work every day.
- Detailed design of mechanical components and assemblies throughout all phases of product development ranging from early concept to mass production readiness. In the Innovation team, the primary focus is on the front end, but project work may extend into further development.
- Develop 3D CAD models, 2D engineering drawings, and specifications as part of the product development process, for prototypes and final products.
- Develop and implement plans for research, design for manufacturing, engineering and design validation, qualification, etc. in partnership with R&D cross functional partners.
- Participate in and drive engineering design reviews.
- Clearly document and communicate design history and intention, engineering change orders, etc. to multifunctional team and third-party suppliers.
- Collaborate with local and overseas engineering and manufacturing partners to qualify part tooling and define visual quality requirements.
- Perform root cause analysis and corrective actions implementation as a result of assembly or reliability testing issues.
- Make data driven decisions.
- Travel up to 25%
This should describe you
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or similar; or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- 6+ years of experience in the design, testing, and development of new products using a range of manufacturing processes and materials, potentially with emphasis on plastic/elastomer injection molded parts and metal parts (e.g. sheet metal, CNC, MIM, etc.).
- Creative, analytical, dynamic, and operates with flexibility.
- Experience using engineering methods such as FEA, Tolerance Analysis, Statistical Analysis, FMEA, DFM/DFA, Design of Experiments, etc.
- Having an ability to articulate and explain engineering rationale as well as communicate clearly with cross functional teams and senior leaders.
- High motivation to teach, learn, and contribute to both product and process development within the R&D team.
- Proficient in one 3D MCAD package. Solidworks is preferred.
- Experience creating 2D engineering drawings.
- Sense of humor!
Here's who you'll work with
- Reporting to the Director of R&D, Hard Product Innovation
- Working in the Hard Product Innovation team
- Working cross-functionally with Marketing, Insights, Consumer Research, Reliability Engineering, Hard Products Lab, NPI Product Design Engineering, Quality, Program Management
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.