Renting a home is the world's oldest subscription service. People spend thousands of dollars every month for an experience that is outdated, inconvenient, analog, impersonal, and leaves a lot to be desired. Latch is working to make every building better, and while we've methodically executed this mission since our founding with great success, we're just getting started.
Leveraging our knowledge from companies like Apple, BCG, and IDEO, we’ve rethought how people interact with space. Latch delivers a full-building operating system designed to help owners, residents, and third parties like guests, couriers, and service providers, seamlessly experience the modern building. We’ve done this by combining software, devices, and services into a holistic platform that makes spaces more efficient, enjoyable, and profitable.
The next chapter of the Latch story will be our most exciting yet, and we’re looking for more talented team members to help fuel our growth.
We are seeking an exceptional Senior Software Developer for Android to join our engineering team! You will be an integral part of the Latch Android team, which is responsible for the development of the Latch Android mobile applications. You will work within cross-functional feature and platform teams, collaborating closely with back-end developers, firmware engineers, product designers, and product managers.
As an Android Developer focused on connected devices, you will utilize Bluetooth Low Energy and other communication protocols to seamlessly link our hardware devices to our client apps and server software. You will refine and implement Android APIs that allow higher level code to access communication functionality in a simple manner. These APIs are used to create features like simple device setup, automatic data synchronization, and real time device coordination experiences.
- Design, debug, and maintain features in Kotlin
- Employ Android best practices through architectural components, design patterns, and standardized libraries
- Follow principles of Test-Driven Development (TDD)
- Improve performance via instrumentation and other profiling tools
- Evaluate solutions both in both ideal and pragmatic terms
- Create reusable components with elegant, intuitive interfaces
- Consume and develop RESTful network APIs
- Think like a product manager and advocate for the user
- Communicate effectively with interdisciplinary teams
- Mentor other software engineers
- BS (Required)/MS/PHD in Computer Science or related field
- At least 5 years of professional software development experience, with mix of Kotlin and Java
- At least 3 years of experience working with the Android SDK
- Deep understanding of software design, architecture, data structures, multi-threading, testing, security, performance
- Command of algorithms, data structures, design patterns, object-oriented design principles
- Strongly preferred to have been part of a team that released an Android app to the Google Play Store
- Familiarity with Agile and Lean development practices
- Bonus: Experience with Android Jetpack, RxJava, Dagger2, Realm
- Bonus: Developed software for devices that use BLE or NFC, in both a Central and Peripheral role
- Bonus: Direct experience releasing and managing Android apps in the Google Play Store
Founded in 2014, Latch now has 200+ team members working to reimagine modern buildings of today and drive evolution for the cities of tomorrow. Over half of our team members work in product development roles, and our team leverages established expertise in over 55 professional disciplines.
We offer unlimited Paid Time Off, a comprehensive benefits package, mental health support, and an environment where employees are surrounded by creative, empowered, and dynamic peers.
In conjunction with our core values: Contagious Determination, Humility, Trust, Inclusion, Action with Intent, and Privacy, we approach our work with care and a sense of duty, to make the world a better space.
Applicant Privacy Notice