Senior Software Engineer - Member at Bread
Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the way the world shops online. We build tools, technologies and APIs that allow e-commerce merchants to integrate installment loan financing and other alternative payment products anywhere in their customers’ shopping journey. Bread was started in 2014 by financial technology veterans, and has experienced explosive growth to date. We’re backed by top investors including Menlo Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, Kinnevik, among others.
Bread has enormous and engaging technical challenges. We need to verify online identity, predict fraud, and approve and price credit while providing a beautiful and frictionless consumer experience, all in real time.
This role will sit on our Members team, which is responsible for building out our new financial servicing platform. As Bread grows to become the best API for all types of POS payment opportunities, this team will build the engine that allows us to run and service those instruments over time. There are many real time high volume processes such as payment processing and lifecycle management the team needs to build for, as well as heavy data pipelines for various accounting and reporting jobs which need to scale as we continue to grow. The members team also builds out the internal tools and portals which allows other business units at Bread to operate each and every day. With respect to our consumers and financial partners, this team is building the post-checkout engine of Bread.
The Members team is cross functional and owns multiple backends written in Go, as well as multiple React frontends, all of which are integral to the success of the business.
Your role at Bread:
- Be responsible for leading design and implementation of new features and iterations of our core platform
- Collaborate in the design of new iterations of our services and APIs
- Be tool oriented - you’ll write tools and introduce approaches that we didn't know we needed but that after a month we won't know how we lived without them
- Build distributed systems that scale as we rapidly grow
- Enable Bread to process billions of dollars of financial instruments per year
- Expertise building scalable, maintainable, and performant backend microservices;
- Knowledge of server-side languages and data stores (our system is built with Go and PostgreSQL, but we’re also happy to speak with those that have strong backend experience with other languages, including JVM languages like Java or Scala; Rust, or C++, C#);
- Experience developing against REST APIs and/or gRPC;
- A passion for engineering and technology;
- Experience in writing unit testing, integration testing, and/or load testing.
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of financial products;
- Experience with developing in Kafka;
- CI & CD experiences;
- Experience in developing on Kubernetes platform.
Engineers at Bread also get the opportunity to participate in “20%” time through Working Groups! Working Groups are quarterly teams of 4 to 6 engineers who set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their core engineering team. Working Groups have included ones for Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, and Monitoring. Groups meet every Friday to plan and own their roadmap and implement their features. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups and over time potentially lead a group for that quarter. It's another opportunity as an engineer at Bread to have impact across the entire organization!