Senior Software Engineer - Platform at Cityblock Health
Who we are
Cityblock Health is a new type of healthcare company, operating out of Brooklyn and backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs, along with some of the top healthcare and tech investors in the country.
Our mission is to radically improve the health of urban communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we bring the capability to deliver care in the home and neighborhood with our field-based teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations and leading commercial partners, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. We deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services through a network of neighborhood hubs with deep community-based partnerships and world-class technology.
We partner with payers and at-risk providers, accepting capitated financial risk to care for their most vulnerable, high and rising risk members. Additionally, we invest in strategic partnerships with community-based and social services organizations, in some instances bringing them into the value equation through sub-capitation and performance-based compensation.
Over the next year we’ll grow quickly, including entering new markets, each with their own commercial relationships and field-based teams. This role will be a key contributor to the success of our business.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Platform team and help build out the foundational infrastructure that powers Cityblock tech. The team's mission is to make data a valuable asset across the organization, and as a result, our work is quite varied: we build data processing pipelines, integrate with third-party systems, stand up domain-specific backend services and APIs, and maintain core cloud infrastructure.
We are still in the early days of building our technical platform, so you will get to participate in a diverse set of projects and grow your technical skills as the company's impact scales. You will join other engineers, product managers, data scientists, analysts, and machine learning experts in designing and developing infrastructure, data models and services to address our exact needs.
Our tech stack is built on top of Google Cloud Platform, using modern infrastructure like Kubernetes, Airflow, BigQuery, Cloud Pub/Sub, and Apache Beam. We configure our infrastructure using Terraform, and our primary programming languages are TypeScript, Scala and Python.
If you like designing and building useful infrastructure or are excited about the challenges of working with complex data, and are an amazing teammate, we want to hear from you!
- Design, build, implement, and own systems and abstractions for processing and managing healthcare data.
- Develop secure integrations into the data systems of various community and health system partners, such as EHRs and HIEs. (Don't worry if you don't know these acronyms!)
- Write, and review, code up and down the stack as needed.
- Ensure we are using industry best practices for producing reliable software that works beautifully.
- Write clean, well-tested, code that will stand the test of time.
- Participate in creating and maintaining strict compliance, data privacy and security measures.
- Help recruit highly capable engineers to the team from diverse backgrounds.
- Learn continuously via mentorship (and on your own!) to upgrade your skills and thinking as an engineer.
- Mentor junior engineers, new team members, and apply technical expertise to help others grow effectively.
- Collaborate with our clinical, data, and product teams to gather requirements and problem solve.
- Come up to speed on how healthcare works (or doesn’t) to support those who need it most.
You’d be a good fit if:
- You have experience working on data-centric backend systems.
- You are invigorated, rather than daunted, by the challenge of building great health tech.
- You have a process-oriented mindset, and are comfortable writing and debating around design documents.
- You enjoy solving complex problems and balancing speed of execution with designing scalable solutions.
- You have 3+ years experience writing production code.
- You have a passion for doing mission-oriented work.
- You have worked in fast-moving startup environments before.
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise.
Nice to have:
- Experience with the technologies in our stack.
- Experience working with complex, heterogeneous data.
- An interest in lower-level infrastructure concerns like latency and monitoring.
- Experience building health technology and/or manipulating health data.
- Previous exposure to clinical operations and/or working with physicians.
- A CS degree or equivalent (top tier bootcamp grads welcome!)
“Nice to have” really means “nice to have”. It’s completely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit for the team.
You should include these in your application:
A resume and/or LinkedIn profile.
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.