Senior Software Engineer
Join our Family
Stride Consulting is a mission-driven, engineering-centric company. We seek developers who place a high value on continuous learning, and value diversity. If you consider yourself a non-dogmatic engineer, have a thirst for learning, and an eye for process, you’re in great company.
Our goal is to leave our clients functioning at a higher level than when we found them. We do this by writing high quality code alongside them, and by mentoring their developers, product teams and stakeholders in software development best practices.
We believe that practices like Test Driven Development, Pairing and Refactoring are the foundation of a high functioning software team. And, we believe that not all Agile practices provide equal value to all teams at all times. So, we approach each engagement as the unique opportunity it is.
As a Strider, you’ll find an opportunity that’s unmatched. You will:
- Be part of an engineering-driven culture, one that has a 4.9 star Glassdoor review and that’s won Crain’s Best Places to Work 2 years in a row.
- Write high-quality code with some of the smartest engineers in town.
- Mentor Stride and client engineers.
- Immerse yourself in a learning journey that’s second to none. No where else will you find the variety that being a consultant brings, all a subway ride away.
Day In The Life of a Senior Software Engineer
You are empowered to define what work/life balance means to you. As a Strider, you’ll work onsite at your client. We are proud to call some of NYC’s most outstanding tech teams our clients, from startups to enterprise.
You will be part of a Stride team, on a client engagement. Your work week will involve 70%-80% client work, including coding, and mentoring Agile engineering best practices. The rest of your time will be spent on things like: managing Striders, being the engagement lead on your client, owning company-level initiatives, being a thought leader.
Here’s how a day might unfold:
9am: One-on-one meeting with the client’s CTO. I’m the engagement lead on my client. I meet with the CTO weekly. We go over the plans for the week and give each other feedback. I take notes so I can relay the info to the team.
10am: Daily Standup. Standup lasts 5 minutes and then we’re off to code.
10:10-12:30 Pair Programming. This morning, I’m pairing with another Strider. She’s been coding 3 years, and she’s got strong fundamentals. We’re doing a deep dive into complex backend code. I’m asking questions when I see she gets stuck. She notices a refactoring opportunity and we jump in.
12:30-1:30 Lunch with my team Every Strider gets a company AmEx. We’re encouraged to grab lunch, coffee with our team and/or client to get to know each other. We talk business for 30 minutes and the rest of the time we talk about rock climbing and a new strategy board game Derek bought last week.
1:30-4:00 Pair Programming
4- 5: Sprint Retrospective Retrospectives on my team are amazing. We take turns facilitating, and today we retrospect our last release.
5-6: Stride U DevOps Jam Stride U is ongoing education for Striders by Striders. Seven of us are taking the DevOps Jam course, it’s 1 hour weekly, for 8 weeks. DevOps is something I’m dipping a toe in and having a safe space to learn real world stuff that I can bring back to my client is great.
6pm: Leave for the Day. It’s been a good day, I throw on my headphones as I head to the subway.
What you’ll be doing
Your job: write high quality code, and bring a ‘teach a team to fish’ mentality to your project:
- Embed with development teams in some of NYC’s most exciting tech teams to help them up their game and get stuff done.
- Mentor teams on the value of software development best practices like Test Driven Development (TDD), Pair Programming, Collective Code Ownership, Continuous Deployment, and Continuous Improvement
- Be the reason your client teams are higher performing on your last day with them than they were on your first day.
- Lead or be part of a cross functional team
- Take on engagement lead responsibility if you choose.
- Take on engineering management responsibility if you choose.
- Work with and learn a variety of tech stacks, and a see a variety of tech teams. We code in modern tech stacks such as Ruby on Rails, React, Angular, Python, Scala, Java8, Elixir, Node and more.
You’re a fit if you have:
- 4+ years of software development experience
- Proficiency in multiple programming languages and ability to quickly gain proficiency in unfamiliar languages
- Passion for seeing projects through from inception to deployment
- Experience teaching TDD, story estimation, test writing, and pair programming
What you can expect from us:
- Continuous learning on things that you are passionate about
- Competitive Pay and Benefits (including Profit Sharing!)
- Empowerment to work at a self-defined sustainable pace
- No travel
- $2,000 and up to two weeks of your time for professional development